Subject: [Pppext] I-D Action: draft-simpson-isis-ppp-unique-01.txt

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 10:22:29 -0400

New "Intended status", updated with various minor changes, such as
Radia's request for a bit more detail of Magic Numbers.

Also tossed in a MUST to SHOULD change for Don, and made the
probability comparison more explicit.  Ready to roll.

http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-simpson-isis-ppp-unique-01.txt

===

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Generation of Unique IS-IS System Identifiers
	Author(s)       : William Allen Simpson
	Filename        : draft-simpson-isis-ppp-unique-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-05-18

    The IS-IS routing protocol (Intermediate System to Intermediate
    System, ISO 10589) requires unique System Identifiers at the link
    layer.  A common practice has been to use an existing IEEE 802 MAC
    link-layer interface identifier.  When no unique MAC is available,
    this document specifies automatic generation of identifiers.  It is
    fully interoperable with systems that do not support this extension.

    Additionally, the extension automatically resolves conflicts between
    System Identifiers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-simpson-isis-ppp-unique-01.txt