Subject: Re: [Pppext] Advancing PPP RFCs to Standard, updating Security

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 08:05:20 -0400

On 06/09/13 04:53, William Allen Simpson wrote:
> But the WG mailing list isn't online any more.  So any newer
> implementation would likely have troubles.  That's probably more
> important than merely updating document status.  Is there any chance
> to get the old UCDavis and Merit archives back online?

My archived copies of the UCDavis and Merit ietf-ppp archives (January
1990 through October 2004) is here:

http://www.workingcode.com/ppp-archives/
ftp://ftp.workingcode.com/pub/ppp-archives/

We switched to the ietf.org servers in February 2004, so those last few
months aren't too helpful.

The ftp server is smart enough to make archives, so if you fetch
"ppp-archives.tar.gz" or "ppp-archives.tar.bz2", it'll do the right thing.

As a bonus, it includes May through October 1993 of the ppp-comp list.
I don't know if more of those exist somewhere else.

The IETF archives seem to overlap some of this history and (of course)
include the bits since 2004:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf-mail-archive/ietf/

I haven't looked into it to try to figure out why the file sizes are so
different.  I don't know where the pre-2004 files in the IETF archives
came from, but mine were downloaded from Merit before they shut the
servers down.

-- 
James Carlson         42.703N 71.076W         <[email-masked]>

---

From: William Allen Simpson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:21:51 -0400

> came from, but mine were downloaded from Merit before they shut the
I also have copies.  If somebody puts me in contact with the appropriate
IETF person, I'll hand compare all the disparate file sizes and make a
canonical version for the archives.  That may be boring, but I'm not
attending IETF in Germany -- so it can be my contribution. ;-)

I was looking at stuff the past week or so, and there are a lot of
widely implemented Proposed Standards that haven't made it to STD 51 yet.