Subject: Support for draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-01.txt

From: "Moranganti, Ashwin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:59:47 -0500

I would like to support  "draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-01.txt" to become a  working
group document.

VPLS is becoming a prominent solution offering in the MSO market place.
Almost all of the MSO's have an IP backbone . The CMTS's in the MSOs are
being pushed to take up the role of the PE device. And most of the deployed
CMTS devices are routers.

Given that, if a CMTS router vendor were to choose from the widely popular
choices,
 they are limited to lassare_vkompella or  kompella_vpls drafts. Apart from
the signaling differences. the kompella_vpls requires for an external  L2
switch to complete the solution. And the Lassare_vkompella switch requires
the CMTS router to incorporate MAC based learning ...etc in the data path.
This has adverse development/performance and scalability implications. (I
understand that most next gen routers/switches that incorporate switching
and routing do not have these issues)

draft-shah-ppvpn-ipls-01.txt is the only draft that provides an
implementable and deployable solution for most routers out in the field (By
making it possible for MAC learning in the control plane)

Ashwin Moranganti