Subject: RE: Draft-kpmpella-ppvpn-vpls-01

From: "Hector Avalos" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:30:56 +0200

I guess that your question should be addressed to all SPs planning to
deploy VPLS regardless if they support kompella draft or
lasserre-vkompella. Isn't it ?

So we can have a better picture.

cheers,

Hector

-----Original Message-----
From: Ali Sajassi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2003 2:59 AM
To: Andrea Ferrarese; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Draft-kpmpella-ppvpn-vpls-01

I'd like to know how many of the service providers who support this
draft, 
only plan to offer multi-point Ethernet service (VPLS) and do NOT plan
to 
offer point-to-point Ethernet service?

If a service provider plans to offer both types of services, then do
they 
plan to use BGP for PW signaling of PtP Ethernet service ?

Thanks,
Ali

At 06:15 PM 4/22/2003 +0200, Andrea Ferrarese wrote:
>We support draft-kompella-ppvpn-vpls-01
>
>We found that BGP control plane give scalability and flexibility. We
>like
>the possibility to maintain the actual config and VPN infrastructure
>for
>both l2 and l3 VPN.
>
>Thank you

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 10:50:07 +0000

Well, we're planning to deploy both VPLS and PtoP (already have PtoP).

We will be using LDP for both (we're using martini for PtoP and will use
lasserre-vkompella for VPLS).

Using BGP to distribute label ranges to all your peers so that each peer
can pick out its own label, rather than using LDP to signal a label
direct to each peer, feels like a bit of a kludge.  If you're going to
use BGP then I'd suggest using a source identifier on each packet so you
can distribute the same label to all peers - perhaps go for UTI/L2TPv3
encaps rather than MPLS and rely on the source IP?

Giles

p.s. this is my own, unsolicited, opinion.  No vendor asked me to state
my position on the list or anything like that ;-)

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================