Subject: RE: Support for draft-kompella-ppvpn-vpls-01.txt

From: Mourad BERKANE <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 17:51:12 +0200

Eric> Certainly it's true  that LDP is NOT  a routing protocol, and that
BGP IS a
Eric> routing  protocol.   It's   also  true  that  both  are   used,  in
varying
Eric> circumstances, for  distributing MPLS  labels.  As VPLS  does not
require a
Eric> routing protocol,  I'm not sure  how one is  supposed to conclude
from this
Eric> that BGP is a better signaling protocol for VPLS. 

If you consider VPLS service without others ones then OK both LDP and BGP
could be used as signaling protocol
I can add that as you said LDP is not able to autodiscovery but BGP could

How will planed to offer VPLS service whitout IPv4 v6 L3VPN L2VPN ????

Now if you consider VPLS on a multiservices network then you will conclude
that BGP is more than well positionned for the control plane of theses
multiservices

---

From: Giles Heron <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Apr 2003 12:37:33 +0000

> How will planed to offer VPLS service whitout IPv4 v6 L3VPN L2VPN ????

in fact there are a few carriers who offer L2 services only...  In that
environment LDP seems like a good choice for VPLS - since it is already
in use for VPWS (and in some cases for setting up the PE to PE LSPs).

Giles

-- 
=================================================================
Giles Heron    Principal Network Architect    PacketExchange Ltd.
ph: +44 7880 506185              "if you build it they will yawn"
=================================================================