Subject: RE: [MPLS-OPS]: multiple VRFs association

From: Divesh Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 15:15:38 +0800

Hi John,
Your understanding is correct. However, you cannot have a single
router port mapped to multiple VRFs. What you can do is have multiple
"virtual" ports defined under a single physical router port ans then have
each of these virtual port map to different VRF.
Eg: FR ports under a Serial interface/VLAN ports under Ethernet interface
etc.
Further, you can have multiple virtual links between CPE and PE, each mapped
to a different VRF. So in effect you CAN have individual site
accosiated to more than ONE VRF.
Hope this helps.
Rgs
Divesh Gupta
Hong Kong  

-----Original Message-----
From: John Smith
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Sent: 4/7/03 1:51 PM
Subject: [MPLS-OPS]: multiple VRFs association 

Hello,
What i understand till now is that the VRF is not mapped to individual
sites in the VPN
but to the ports on the PE router. This is so because i can have
overlapping VPNs wherein
i would want the two different sites to share the same VRF. Thus
multiple ports on the PE
router can be associated with a single VRF.

My doubt is that can i have it the other way around OR putting it in a
different way can
the same PE router port be associated with two different VRFs? 

I think is is *only* possible with ethernets where using the concept of
VLANs i can have
the same physical port be associated with multiple VRFs.

PLease let me know if i am correct in my understanding.

Thanks a lot !

Regards,
John Smith

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page
from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts
http://uk.my.yahoo.com

-------
The MPLS-OPS Mailing List
Subscribe/Unsubscribe:  http://www.mplsrc.com/mplsops.shtml
Archive: http://www.mplsrc.com/mpls-ops_archive.shtml

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan
service. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working
around the clock, around the globe, visit http://www.messagelabs.com
________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________
This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs SkyScan
service. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working
around the clock, around the globe, visit http://www.messagelabs.com
________________________________________________________________________

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:26:11 +0200

All,

Let me just indicate that mapping to vrfs does not really has to be
tight to physical or logical ports on the PE router any more. Imagine
the case where an IP packet is recieved on any port (independent on
media), some processing is conducted on it (form of policy based routing
for example) then based on the retrived info such a packet is inserted
into required vrf. I think that was really John's question ;).

R.

> Divesh Gupta wrote: