Subject: On the subject of WG docs ...

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:13:12 -0400

If everybody is pitching their docs to  become WG docs, I might as well join
the club and make a pitch for draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-02.txt.  

- The part  of that  doc that specifies  LDP-based signaling  extensions has
  been incorporated into the PWE3 WG draft draft-ietf-pwe3-control-protocol-
  02.txt.   So my  plan would  be  to recast  the document  slightly into  a
  specification  of how  to use  PWE3 signaling  to support  the  variety of
  provisioning models which are being considered by this WG. 

- There is a  draft in the l2tpext group (draft-luo-l2tpext-l2vpn-signaling)
  which  applies the  same  concepts to  L2TP-based  signaling.  While  that
  document has a number of detailed differences, I would expect these to get
  resolved into a single PPVPN document. 

- Support  for these concepts has been  expressed by a number  of people who
  are active in this WG. 

- The main opposition to this  proposal, one V. Kompella, now seems somewhat
  more tolerant of it, if one might judge from a recent thread. 

There  is still  some ongoing  argument  about the  properties, syntax,  and
semantics, which  the"generalized identifiers" of  this draft need  to have,
but this draft seems to me like a good basis for future work.

---

From: Rahul Aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 16:12:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Eric,

>   resolved into a single PPVPN document. 

Will this single PPVPN doc be :
- draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-02.txt, or 
- a) a common PPVPN doc for the identifier and
  b) draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-02.txt for the provisioning models ?

If the idea is to move forward with draft-rosen-ppvpn-l2-signaling-02.txt,
such that it spells out provisioning models for both LDP and L2TP based
signaling, I support it as a WG doc. Spelling out the identifier format in
this doc or a separate doc is an open question. 

Regards,
rahul