Subject: RE: Route Distinguisher and Route Target

From: "Ramasamy Jesuraj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:54:03 -0400

RD and RT are used for different purposes. There should not be any
co-relation.

--JJ

-----Original Message-----
From: John Smith [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 7:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Route Distinguisher and Route Target

Hello,
Is there any direct co-relation between the Route Distinguisher (RD) that i
configure on my system with the ROute targets that i may set in the VRF?

My question is - does the RD automatically get inserted in my import route
target list? 

Also, suppose i advertise a VPN4 route using BGP from PE1 to PE2. Also
suppose that PE2 accepts this because of the import Route Target configured
on it. Now what does it do with the RD which has been inserted in front of
the actual IPv4 prefix? 

AFAIK it will simply throw it away and advertise that route to all the CE
routers in that VRF.

Am i correct in my understanding?

Thanks for any help in this!

Regards,
Smith

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Everything you'll ever need on one web page
from News and Sport to Email and Music Charts http://uk.my.yahoo.com