Subject: What is the difference between the Ethernet Service in PWE3 and VPLS?

From: lidefeng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:05:44 +0800

Hi,all,

    Could anyone please tell me the difference between the Ethernet Service
in PWE3 and VPLS,how to interoperte the site attached to PWE3 and the site
attached to VPLS when there is
need to access each other? And how to process mac learning,flooding address
unknows unicast,broadcast and multicast frames in PWE3?

Regards

Li Defeng

---

From: Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:56:36 +0100

PWE3 simply provides a point to point "wire" capable
of carrying Ethernet frames. How the frames are chosen
for transmission on the "wire", and what happens at
the far end of the "wire" is outside the scope of PWE3.

VPLS uses PWE3 as a point to point service to carry
Ethernet packets between its PEs.

Stewart

---

From: "Rick Osteen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:59:15 -0400

Please remember, VPLS is "Cisco Centric". Their marketing department does a
good job of placing a technological name/acronym onto a real name
draft/technology.

----- Original Message -----
From: "lidefeng" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2003 11:05 PM
Subject: [PWE3] What is the difference between the Ethernet Service in PWE3
and VPLS?

> _______________________________________________
> pwe3 mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pwe3

---

From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:11:53 -0700

Rick,

I beg to differ.  Marc Lasserre (Riverstone) and I (TiMetra Networks) (along
with a number of co-authors, not including cisco) wrote the original versions of
VPLS.  Those versions pre-date cisco's input.  How do you come to the conclusion
that VPLS is cisco-centric?

If drafts are company-centric, then cisco shouldn't be the first one to spring
to mind when you talk of VPLS.  At least, not in my mind :-)  Of course, some
people have considerable marketing power...

Every company wants to extract their marketing worth out of their employees'
participation on drafts.  But a draft presented at the IETF is NOT accepted as a
company-centric draft; it is considered an individual submission until it is
accepted as a working group document, and that with working group consensus.
After that, it is the product of the working group.

-Vach

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Rick Osteen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 5:59 PM
> To: lidefeng; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [PWE3] What is the difference between the Ethernet
> Service in PWE3 and VPLS?
>
>

---

From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:50:23 -0700

That was a little brusque.  Individuals who work for TiMetra, Riverstone,
PacketExchange, cisco, Hatteras, SBC, Masergy, Level3, and some who are true
individual contributors, have assisted and in very helpful ways.  I object to it
being called cisco-centric.  One hopes that the IETF doesn't descend to drafts
being company-centric.

-Vach

> From: Vach Kompella [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 6:12 PM
> To: Rick Osteen; lidefeng; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [PWE3] What is the difference between the Ethernet

---

From: "Rick Osteen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 06:54:05 -0400

All,
My apologies. I suppose I've been to one too many presentations and did not
intend to stir trouble.
Thanks,
Rick Osteen

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vach Kompella" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; "Rick Osteen" <[email-masked]>; "lidefeng"
<[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, April 28, 2003 11:50 PM
Subject: RE: [PWE3] What is the difference between the Ethernet Service in
PWE3 and VPLS?