Subject: Decision on work split

From: Alex Zinin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:07:14 -0700

Folks-

 I would like to thank everyone for a useful discussion on this topic.

 Thomas, Bert, and I have reviewed the discussion and made the
 decision that we still need to proceed with splitting the work in two
 WGs, as this has a good potential for improving the WG focus and
 progress. Therefore, the discussions on the draft charters of the
 proposed WGs will be continued with the goal of completing this
 process two weeks from now the latest.

 To minimize interference of charter-related discussions with ongoing
 activities within the PPVPN WG, the former will be taken to the
 following mailing lists:

  [email-masked] -- for the L2VPN proposed WG
  [email-masked] -- for the L3VPN proposed WG

 Please subscribe to these mailing lists using the following links:
 
  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l2vpn
  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l3vpn

 The web archives will be available once there's some traffic there.

 Based on the feedback on the list, there is one question that I'd
 like us to discuss on this mailing list--which perspective WG the
 common (L2+L3) work should go to. I will send a message to the list
 enumerating the drafts and starting this discussion shortly.

 Finally, to ensure proper coordination of VPN-related work (between
 proposed new WGs, PWE3, L2TP, Routing and Transport area), we will be
 creating the VPN directorate. It will be explicitly announced when
 formed.

 Regards.

--
Alex Zinin
IETF SUB-IP Area Co-Director