Subject: IPv6 versus unique identifiers

From: "Sylvia Sugar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 15:38:48 +0000

Hi folks,

(@_@)

Now I get it,

Route Distingusiher + version 4 address = 96 bytes.

So the unique identifier is 96 bytes.

If one was to look at each and very Version 4 route in the MPLS core routing 
tables of a heavily peered INTER/INRAAS router, it would be 96 bytes long. 
And, it would uniquely identify the host!

A host would be identified by 96 bytes now as far as the core of MPLS is 
concerned.

What is still confusing me is, why not increase the size of the route 
distinguisher by a few more bytes, and call this new address a version 6 
address?

That way we have solved the problem of NAT, (how amazing the only way out is 
to increase the address space!! irrespective of there being such a massive 
demand for closed user groups...)
(@_@)
and have also ensured that MPLS can actually be extended till each "host"!! 
we can actually have MPLS aware NIC cards!

But why would I need MPLS aware NIC cards? I could simply use IPv6!! and so 
I can do with my existing NIC cards..

MPLS doesnt help make addresses unique? Its just a way to help people 
migrate to IPv6? Isnt it?

Could someone help me understand that?

It all seems so exciting....!!!

-SylviaXO

_________________________________________________________________
The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE*  
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail