Subject: Nos of Labels in CE

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:29:49 +0100 (BST)

Hi,
WHat is that implementations generally do when they have multiple prefixes associated
with a single interface. DO they advertise a single label for all these routes OR does it
advertise multiple unique labels per route?

I think it should be the former.

Is there any case when one might want to do the latter?

Regards,
John Smith

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/

---

From: Aamer Akhter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:13:48 -0400

On 6/20/03 2:29 AM, "John Smith" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> with a single interface.

I think you want to say same next-hop rather than interface.

>DO they advertise a single label for all these routes
> OR does it

In general, cases where it might be useful to be able to distinguish between
prefixes.

One specific case is in mpls-vpn if the prefix is reachable via two
different  nexthop's on the same PE. This allows the PE to loadshare between
the two next-hops.

-- 
Aamer Akhter / [email-masked]
NSITE - cisco Systems