Subject: draft-stokes-vkompella-ppvpn-hvpls-oam-02.txt

From: Olen Stokes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:14:36 -0700

An updated version of the draft, "Testing Hierarchical Virtual Private LAN
Services" has been posted to the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.  A
link can be found below. 
Any feedback or discussion would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Olen

---------------------------------------------------------------

Title		: Testing Hierarchical Virtual Private LAN Services
Author(s)	: O. Stokes et al.
Filename	: draft-stokes-vkompella-ppvpn-hvpls-oam-02.txt 
Pages		: 29
Date		: 2003-6-30

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-stokes-vkompella-ppvpn-hvpls-oam-0
2.txt

       Abstract

       This document describes a methodology for testing the 
       operation, administration and maintenance (OA&M) of a general 
       VPN service, that is applied here to Hierarchical Virtual
       Private LAN Services (HVPLS) as described in [VPLS].  As part 
       of this methodology, the MPLS ping concepts described in [LSP-
       PING] are extended to enable HVPLS spoke-to-spoke connectivity 
       testing.  A method to provide the information necessary for 
       this spoke-to-spoke OA&M is also proposed.   
        
       These are the goals of this draft: 
               -   checking connectivity between "service-aware" 
                   nodes of a network, 
               -   verifying data plane and control plane integrity, 
               -   verifying service membership 
        
       There are two specific requirements to which we call attention 
       because of their seemingly contradictory nature: 
               -   the checking of connectivity MUST involve the 
                   ability to use packets that look like customer 
                   packets 
               -   the OAM packets MUST not propagate beyond the 
                   boundary of the provider network