Subject: "OAM in MPLS-based Networks": IEEE Comm. Mag. Sp. Issue Call for Papers

From: "Vishal Sharma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:13:51 -0700

Folks,

Thanks to those who responded to our earlier announcement of
this Feature Topic issue, with an intent to contribute.

For those who may have missed the earlier email, or for those
who've been working in this area and thinking of contributing, we'd
very much encourage you to consider sending in your contributions.
It is your high-quality papers, thoughts, and insights that will
make this issue a valuable one for our industry.

So, if you'd like to submit a paper or if you have a question
or clarification, please do drop one of the Guest Editors a note, as that
is very useful in helping us plan the issue.

We look forward to your participation!

Thanks,
-Vishal

PS: The submission process is automated and very easy. Pl. check
instructions below.
*************************************
Vishal Sharma
Metanoia, Inc.
http://www.metanoia-inc.com
*************************************

====================================================================
CALL FOR PAPERS
IEEE Communications Magazine

Feature Topic on "OAM in MPLS-Based Networks"
**********************************************

As carriers and service providers converge multiple services and
associated networks on to an MPLS-based infrastructure, OAM functionality
becomes pivotal for enabling them to provide service level agreement
(SLA) guarantees, service assurance, quality of service (QoS) assurance
and overall interworking service management.  The advent of new applications
of MPLS such as Layer 2 Virtual Private LAN Services (VPLS) and Layer 3
Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs) also means the emergence of added OAM
requirements from operators deploying those networks. As a result, providers
today require more efficient means of monitoring network health,
performance, and robustness, and of quickly identifying and resolving
performance problems. This is leading to the emergence of improved or
novel tools and techniques, whose goal is to improve security and
billing/accounting, aid in verifying QoS commitments, and reduce
operating costs. Standards organizations such as the IETF and the
ITU have in the recent past done significant work in this area, and
this subject is also being investigated by the IEEE and the Metro
Ethernet Forum.

This feature topic issue of the IEEE Communications Magazine has
a dual focus: to highlight operator requirements and deployment
experiences with OAM in MPLS-based networks, and to present a
survey of the current engineering and research developments in
this area.

Thus, focused tutorial and survey contributions as well as
research papers are solicited on (but not limited to) the following:

* Operational consequences of inadequate OAM capabilities
* Service provider requirements for efficient OAM - current operational
  needs and future demands
* Deployment experiences with OAM over MPLS-based networks
* Overview or comparative analysis of different
  approaches/philosophies for OAM
* Standards activities
	o Emerging architectures
	o New mechanisms for OAM in development
         (e.g. IETF LSP ping, ITU-T Y.1711, virtual circuit
         connection verification (VCCV))
* Platform support for OAM
* OAM impact on edge services (such as metro Ethernet)
  using MPLS transport
* Interoperability issues, interworking with
  other technologies (e.g. ATM)
* Review of current research in the area - E.g. setting
  parameters for connectivity verification and their impact on
  LSP recovery, trade-offs between bandwidth usage by OAM traffic
  and efficiency of failure/anomaly detection, and results from testbed
  deployments or simulations

On-line CFP with submission instructions can be found at:
http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/commag/cfpcommag1004.htm

Submission

Articles should be tutorial in nature and should be written in
a style comprehensible to readers outside the specialty of the article.
Articles may be edited for clarity and grammatical accuracy, and
will be copyedited according to the Magazine's style. Mathematical
equations should not be used (in justified cases up to three simple
equations could be allowed, provided the consent of the Guest Editor;
more than three equations require permission from the Editor-in-Chief).
Articles should have no more than 4,500 words, no more than 6
tables/figures, and no more than 15 references. Guidelines for prospective
authors can be found on-line at:
http://www.comsoc.org/pubs/commag/sub_guidelines.html.
Please submit no later than November 30, 2003. Accepted papers will
also be included in Communications Interactive (CI), the online version
of Communications Magazine.

Schedule:

Manuscript Due:                November 30, 2003
Acceptance Notification:       February 28, 2004
Final Manuscript Due:          April 15, 2004
Publication Date:              October 2004

Guest Editors:

Monique J. Morrow
Cisco Systems, Inc.
Glatt-com
CH-8301 Glattzentrum
Switzerland

Email: [email-masked]

Tom Nadeau
Cisco Systems, Inc.
250 Apollo Drive
Chelmsford, MA 01824, USA.

Email: [email-masked]

Vishal Sharma
Metanoia, Inc.
1600 Villa Street, Unit 352
Mountain View, CA 94041, USA.

Email: [email-masked]

About the IEEE Communications Magazine:

The IEEE Comm. Mag. is the official technical publication of
conferences such as Supercomm, and has the unique distinction of
being the most widely read IEEE journal, with its over 50,000 paid
subscribers representing key communications engineers and
technical managers in our industry. More information
on the IEEE Comm. Mag., may be found here:
www.comsoc.org/adv/pp/Adpp2003revisedweb.ppt