Subject: [precis] Fw: I-D Action: draft-yoneya-precis-mappings-01.txt

From: Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 18:29:58 +0900

Dear all,

Nemoto-san (new co-author) and I submitted new version of precis mappings 
document.  Please read and give your comments/suggestions.

Regards,

-- 
Yoshiro YONEYA <[email-masked]>

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 01:20:41 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action: draft-yoneya-precis-mappings-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Mapping characters for PRECIS classes
	Author(s)       : Yoshiro YONEYA
                          Takahiro NEMOTO
	Filename        : draft-yoneya-precis-mappings-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2012-02-10

   Preparation and comparison of internationalized strings ("PRECIS")
   Framework [I-D.ietf-precis-framework] is defining several classes of
   strings for preparation and comparison.  In the document, case
   mapping is defined because many of protocols handle case sensitive or
   case insensitive string comparison and therefore preparation of
   string is mandatory.  As described in IDNA mapping [RFC5895] and
   PRECIS problem statement [I-D.ietf-precis-problem-statement],
   mappings in internationalized strings are not limited to case, but
   also width, delimiters and/or other specials are taken into
   consideration.  This document considers mappings other than case
   mapping in PRECIS context.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yoneya-precis-mappings-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yoneya-precis-mappings-01.txt

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: JFC Morfin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 19:41:57 +0100

>document.  Please read and give your comments/suggestions.

It seems that two types of mapping are missing depending on the way 
you want to address orthotypography. As a general matter I am 
embrassed by the terminology confusion between the proposed term of 
(string) "classes" (a term not used in the Charter) and (DNS) "CLASSes".

FYI, ICANN started advising open-roots to use an alternative CLASS 
(ICP-3, 2001). I personnaly use CLASS 65300 (UFEC) for IDNA2008 testing.

I suggest the following additions:

1. the DNS Mapping Mapping, i.e. the Mapping table to map with the 
applying DNS CLASS.

IDNA2008 applies to IDNs in every DNS CLASSes. Therefore, the support 
IDNA2008 in different application protocols calls for the 
simultaenous cross support of the DNS network application protocol. 
It seems that such a support might be implemented through a mapping 
table set per CLASS and in defining an appropriate DNS resolver 
information tool.

2. the language Mapping.

IDNA2008 addresses the end to end support of IDNs and is therefore 
only dependent on the lowercased script oriented result of the 
punycode algorithm. Mapping is necessary because the information 
entered by the user and possibly necessary to the protocol is fringe 
to fringe. There are several ways to support the IDNA2008 unused 
information: through the environment, metadata, an "punyplus" fringe 
to fringe end to end transparent extension of punycode.

jfc