Subject: [precis] Fwd: [kitten] spaces in SASL user names

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:50:09 -0600

FYI. This was one follow-up item from the meeting in Paris...

- -------- Original Message --------
Subject: [kitten] spaces in SASL user names
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:48:21 -0600
From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

At the PRECIS WG session in Paris, we had quite a discussion about
spaces in user names. Alexey maintained that this must have been
included in SASLprep (RFC 4013) for a good reason, but the reason
wasn't clear to folks in the meeting. So I have a few questions:

1. Do SASL user names really need to include spaces?

2. If SASL user names do *not* need to include spaces, would it be
fine to re-use the PRECIS NameClass for simple user names in SASL?

3. If SASL user names *do* need to include spaces, would it be fine to
define simple user names in SASL as a space-separated list of
NameClass entities?

Option #3 seems preferable to (a) specifying that the PRECIS NameClass
needs to include space (to which there was a lot of resistance during
the PRECIS WG session), (b) enabling folks to superclass PRECIS string
classes (to which there was also a lot of resistance), or (c) severely
subclassing the PRECIS FreeClass to be something like NameClass+SP.

Peter

- - --
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAk+EqqUACgkQNL8k5A2w/vzHeQCfTX6rF+MAqj05uz/ojJpPDkMT
RaMAn2AWoWO3lRiDgxfPmDZy7B4wyawX
=xNtO
- -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
_______________________________________________
Kitten mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/kitten