Subject: [precis] codepoint table

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 19:50:27 -0600

I'm almost finished with the codepoint table. Basically my process has
been to copy over the codepoint table from RFC 5892 and update it in
accordance with the new PRECIS rules and Unicode 6.1 UnicodeData.txt.
While completing this work, I realize it would have been very helpful
for the IDNA table to contain a column describing the reason for each
assignment (e.g., codepoints 1100..115F are DISALLOWED in IDNA2008
because they trigger the OldHangulJamo (I) rule). This is more work for
the person making the codepoint table (c'est moi), but it provides
better traceability, so I am thinking about adding this information to
the PRECIS codepoint table. Let me know if you have concerns. :)

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/

---

From: Patrik Fältström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 06:35:02 +0200

> the PRECIS codepoint table. Let me know if you have concerns. :)

Note that the table in 5892 is non-normative. Similar derived lists exists for the latest version of Unicode at IANA. One should really not "copy a table", but instead use the algorithm specified. If you do, then you would directly see what the reason is for the derived property value.

You can also have a look at http://stupid.domain.name/idna

   Patrik

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 11:44:20 -0600

On 5/9/12 10:35 PM, Patrik Fältström wrote:
>> I'm almost finished with the codepoint table. Basically my process
>> has been to copy over the codepoint table from RFC 5892 and update
>> it in accordance with the new PRECIS rules and Unicode 6.1
>> UnicodeData.txt. While completing this work, I realize it would
>> have been very helpful for the IDNA table to contain a column
>> describing the reason for each assignment (e.g., codepoints
>> 1100..115F are DISALLOWED in IDNA2008 because they trigger the
>> OldHangulJamo (I) rule). This is more work for the person making
>> the codepoint table (c'est moi), but it provides better
>> traceability, so I am thinking about adding this information to the
>> PRECIS codepoint table. Let me know if you have concerns. :)
> 
> Note that the table in 5892 is non-normative. Similar derived lists
> exists for the latest version of Unicode at IANA. One should really
> not "copy a table", but instead use the algorithm specified. 

I copied it as a way to get started, rather than starting from scratch.

> If you
> do, then you would directly see what the reason is for the derived
> property value.
> 

Thanks!

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/