Subject: [precis] Last Call: <draft-ietf-precis-7564bis-07.txt> (PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 09:49:34 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Preparation and Comparison of
Internationalized Strings WG (precis) to consider the following
document:
- 'PRECIS Framework: Preparation, Enforcement, and Comparison of
   Internationalized Strings in Application Protocols'
  <draft-ietf-precis-7564bis-07.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2017-06-13. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Application protocols using Unicode code points in protocol strings
   need to properly handle such strings in order to enforce
   internationalization rules for strings placed in various protocol
   slots (such as addresses and identifiers) and to perform valid
   comparison operations (e.g., for purposes of authentication or
   authorization).  This document defines a framework enabling
   application protocols to perform the preparation, enforcement, and
   comparison of internationalized strings ("PRECIS") in a way that
   depends on the properties of Unicode code points and thus is more
   agile with respect to versions of Unicode.  As a result, this
   framework provides a more sustainable approach to the handling of
   internationalized strings than the previous framework, known as
   Stringprep (RFC 3454).  This document obsoletes RFC 7564.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-7564bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-precis-7564bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.