Subject: [PSAMP] Protocol Action: 'Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Protocol Specifications' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 06:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Protocol Specifications '
   <draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Packet Sampling Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and Ron Bonica.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies the export of packet information from a Packet
Sampling (PSAMP) Exporting Process to a PSAMP Collecting Process.  For
export of packet information the IP Flow Information eXport (IPFIX)
protocol is used, as both the IPFIX and PSAMP architecture match very well
and the means provided by the IPFIX protocol are sufficient.  The document
specifies in detail how the IPFIX protocol is used for PSAMP export of
packet information. 
 
Working Group Summary
 
There is a solid WG consensus on the content of the draft.

Protocol Quality
 
The document was reviewed in the WG, and by key members of the IPFIX
Working Group. An expert review was performed by Mark Allman from the TSV
Directorate. Dan Romascanu reviewed the document on behalf of the IESG. 

Note to RFC Editor
 
RFC Editor,

Please make the following changes in the document prior to publication:

1) in Section 6.4.1 "Basic Packet Report", 2nd paragraph 

OLD:
   For each selected packet, the Packet Report SHOULD contain the
   following information:
   - the observationTimeMicroseconds Information Element
NEW:
   For each selected packet, the Packet Report SHOULD contain a
time-related
   Information Element that matches the Metering Process time accuracy.
   Typically, the observationTimeMicroseconds Information Element. Other 
   possible Information Elements are the observationTimeSeconds, 
   the observationTimeMilliseconds, or the observationTimeNanoseconds

2) in Section 5 "PSAMP Requirements versus the IPFIX Solution", first
paragraph: 

OLD 

   In the "Generic Requirements for PSAMP" section, [PSAMP-FMWK]
   describes some requirements that affect directly the PSAMP export
   protocol.

NEW:

   The [PSAMP-FMWK] contains PSAMP protocol requirements throughout
   the document, with a special focus in the "Generic Requirements 
   for PSAMP" section and subsections. 

3) in Section 5 "PSAMP Requirements versus the IPFIX Solution", first
paragraph 

OLD 
   Finally, [PSAMP-FMWK] describes a series of requirements specifying
   the different Information Elements that MUST and SHOULD be reported 
   to the Collector.  Nevertheless IPFIX, being a generic export
   protocol, can export any Information Elements as long as they are
   described in the information model.  So these requirements are mainly
   targeted for the [PSAMP-INFO] document.

NEW:
   [PSAMP-FMWK] also describes a series of requirements specifying
   the different Information Elements that MUST and SHOULD be reported
   to the Collector.  Nevertheless IPFIX, being a generic export
   protocol, can export any Information Elements as long as they are
   described in the information model.  So these requirements are mainly
   targeted for the [PSAMP-INFO] document.

4) in Section 3.3.1 "IPFIX and PSAMP Processes", first paragraph 

OLD:
   The figure B indicates the sequence of the processes (Metering and
   Exporting) within the PSAMP Device.

NEW:
   The figure B indicates the sequence of the IPFIX processes (Metering
and
   Exporting) within the PSAMP Device.

5) in Section 3.3.2 "Packet Report, Packet Interpretation, and Data
Record", first  

OLD:
   The PSAMP terminology speaks of Packet Report and Packet 
   Interpretation, while the IPFIX terminology speaks of Data Record and 
   (Option) Template Record.  The PSAMP Packet Report, which comprises 
   information about the observed packet, can be viewed as analogous to 
   the IPFIX Data Record defined by a Template Record.  The PSAMP Packet 
   Interpretation, which comprises subsidiary information used for the 
   interpretation of the Packet Reports, can be viewed as analogous to 
   the IPFIX Data Record defined by an Option Template Record. 
    
NEW:
   The PSAMP terminology speaks of Packet Report and Packet 
   Interpretation, while the IPFIX terminology speaks of Data Record and 
   (Option) Template Record.  The PSAMP Packet Report, which comprises 
   information about the observed packet, can be viewed as analogous to
   the IPFIX Data Record defined by a Template Record.  The PSAMP Report
   Interpretation, which comprises subsidiary information used for the
   interpretation of the Packet Reports, can be viewed as analogous to
   the IPFIX Data Record defined by an Option Template Record. This Option

   Template Record contains subsidiary information, applicable to 
   the observed packet sent into the PSAMP Packet Report.

6) in Section 4.1 "Architecture Point of View", 4th paragraph

OLD:
Packet Sampling as described in the PSAMP framework [PSAMP-FMWK]
covers only stage 1 of the IPFIX architecture with the packet
classification replaced by packet record export.

NEW: 
Packet Sampling as described in the PSAMP framework [PSAMP-FMWK]
covers only stage 1 of the IPFIX architecture with the packet
classification replaced by packet record export, while IPFIX covers also
the stage 2, 
as it generates Flow Records out of the selected packets.

_______________________________________________
PSAMP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/psamp

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 17:56:17 +0200

Congratulations to the editors, WG chair and the whole WG for reaching
this milestone. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of The IESG
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2008 4:45 PM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: psamp chair; Internet Architecture Board; psamp mailing list; RFC
Editor
Subject: [PSAMP] Protocol Action: 'Packet Sampling (PSAMP) Protocol
Specifications' to Proposed Standard

Technical Summary
 
This document specifies the export of packet information from a Packet
Sampling (PSAMP) Exporting Process to a PSAMP Collecting Process.  For
export of packet information the IP Flow Information eXport (IPFIX)
protocol is used, as both the IPFIX and PSAMP architecture match very
well and the means provided by the IPFIX protocol are sufficient.  The
document specifies in detail how the IPFIX protocol is used for PSAMP
export of packet information. 
 
Working Group Summary

Protocol Quality
 
The document was reviewed in the WG, and by key members of the IPFIX
Working Group. An expert review was performed by Mark Allman from the
TSV Directorate. Dan Romascanu reviewed the document on behalf of the
IESG. 

Note to RFC Editor
 
RFC Editor,

OLD:

OLD 

NEW:

OLD 

NEW:

OLD:

NEW:

OLD:

    
NEW:

   the IPFIX Data Record defined by an Option Template Record. This
Option

OLD:
Packet Sampling as described in the PSAMP framework [PSAMP-FMWK] covers
only stage 1 of the IPFIX architecture with the packet classification
replaced by packet record export.

NEW: 
Packet Sampling as described in the PSAMP framework [PSAMP-FMWK] covers
only stage 1 of the IPFIX architecture with the packet classification
replaced by packet record export, while IPFIX covers also the stage 2,
as it generates Flow Records out of the selected packets.