Subject: [PSAMP] AD evaluation of draft-ietf-psamp-info-08.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 19:31:29 +0200

Please find below the AD evaluation of draft-ietf-psamp-info-08.txt. The
document has reached a fair state of maturity and stability, yet there
are a number of issues to be discussed and fixed, and probably a revised
ID will be needed before proceeding to IETF Last Call. Please find below
my questions and comments, grouped in Technical and Editorial. 

Technical

T1. E2. Section 7, second paragraph - it is not clear what  'special
information' means here, and thus what this paragraph is saying.  

T2. Section 10.2 specifies that for new selection methods 'configuration
parametr(s), along with the way to report it/them with an Options
Template, MUST be clearly specified. Should not this information be also
clearly specified for the initial set of eight selector algorithms
described in 8.2.4? Or maybe they are specified someplace else -
reference should be provided here if so.

T3. Section 8.2.4 

      New assignments for the PSAMP selection method will be
      administered by IANA, on a First Come First Served basis
      [RFC2434], subject to Expert Review [RFC2434].

The policy here should be Expert Review as per RFC5226, no need to
mention FCFS (actually you can't have two policies in place and what
numbers are allocated is the IANA business)

T4. Section 8.2.11 - why is Abstract Data type float64 needed? It looks
to me like float32 would be enough to express a probability value, or am
I missing something? 

T5. Section 9 - Security Considerations. It would be good to borrow as
is or with minimal adaptations the following two paragraphs from the
Security Considerations section of RFC5102:

   For example, exporting values of header fields may make attacks
   possible for the receiver of this information, which would otherwise
   only be possible for direct observers of the reported Flows along the
   data path.

   The underlying protocol used to exchange the information described
   here must therefore apply appropriate procedures to guarantee the
   integrity and confidentiality of the exported information.  Such
   protocols are defined in separate documents, specifically the IPFIX
   protocol document [RFC5101].

T6. Section 10.2 

   New assignments for the PSAMP selection method will be administered
   by IANA, on a First Come First Served basis [RFC2434], subject to
   Expert Review [RFC2434].  

Same comment as in T3, the policy should be just Expert Review as per
RFC5226

Editorial

E1. T2. [RFC2404] was obsoleted and replaced by [RFC5226] - make the
change in the references and all over the document. 

E2. It should be added in Section 5 that the documents uses the Data
Types described in Section 3.1 of [RFC5102]

E3. Section 8.2.4 - s/The selectorAlgorithm registry is maintained by
IANA and can be updated as long as specifications/The selectorAlgorithm
registry is maintained by IANA and can be updated when specifications/

E4. Section 8.2.6 - s/A value of 100 means that the next interval starts
after 100 packets (which are not sampled) when the current
"samplingPacketInterval" is over./A value of 100 means that the next
interval starts 100 packets (which are not sampled) after the current
"samplingPacketInterval" is over./

E5. Section 8.2.8 - s//A value of 100 means that the next interval
starts after 100 packets (which are not sampled) when the current
"samplingTimeInterval" is over./A value of 100 means that the next
interval starts 100 packets (which are not sampled) after the current
"samplingTimeInterval" is over./

Regards,

Dan

_______________________________________________
PSAMP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/psamp