Subject: [PSAMP] float64 needed for samplingProbability

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 09:46:49 +0200

Dear all,

Dan's AD review identified a set of issues to be solved in PSAMP-INFO.
Most of them can be dealt with by the authors, but there is one for which
input from others is needed:

Dan asked why we use float64 as data type for Information Element
samplingProbability (#311, section 8.2.11):

> T4. Section 8.2.11 - why is Abstract Data type float64 needed? It looks
> to me like float32 would be enough to express a probability value, or am
> I missing something?

Can anyone give us a good reason for using float64 instead of the
smaller float32?

Thanks,

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek        [email-masked]        Tel: +49 6221 4342-115
NEC Europe Limited,    Network Laboratories        Fax: +49 6221 4342-155
Kurfuersten-Anlage 36, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.netlab.nec.de
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL, UK
Registered in England 2832014

_______________________________________________
PSAMP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/psamp

---

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:21:13 +0100

Juergen,

I think that the logic has been: since we have "6.2. Reduced Size 
Encoding of Integer and Float Types' in RFC5101, why not use float64? 
Just in case someone needs this granularity later on, we would not need 
to define a new I.E.
Now it's true that I can't find a business case for samplingProbability 
float64.
So "reducing" to float32 probably makes sense. No strong opinion on that 
one to be frank.

Regards, Benoit.