Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Path validation is not return reachability (#4068)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 18:47:58 -0700

The original design for path validation attempted to validate return
reachability by requiring that PATH_RESPONSE followed the same path as
PATH_CHALLENGE.  We removed that long ago, but the text retained echoes
of that choice.

Closes #4064.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068

-- Commit Summary --

  * Path validation is not return reachability

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (31)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 18:59:11 -0700

@DavidSchinazi approved this pull request.

Thanks for writing this up, I think this adequately resolves my concerns from #4064.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068#pullrequestreview-480328618

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 19:01:09 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068#pullrequestreview-480331655

---

From: Eric Kinnear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 19:04:35 -0700

@ekinnear approved this pull request.

Thanks for writing this up, tiny wording suggestions, but looking great! 

> @@ -2134,10 +2134,12 @@ In path validation, endpoints test reachability between a specific local address
 and a specific peer address, where an address is the two-tuple of IP address and
 port.
 
-Path validation tests that packets can be both sent to (PATH_CHALLENGE) and
-received from (PATH_RESPONSE) a peer on the path.  Importantly, it validates
-that the packets received from the migrating endpoint do not carry a spoofed
-source address.
+Path validation tests that packets that are sent to a peer on a path are
+received by the peer. Path validation is used to ensure that packets received
+from a migrating peer do not carry a spoofed source address.
+
+Path validation does not validate that a peer can send in the return direction.
+Peers perform independent validation of a path.

```suggestion
The peer performs independent validation of the return path.
```

> +Path validation tests that packets that are sent to a peer on a path are
+received by the peer. Path validation is used to ensure that packets received

```suggestion
Path validation tests that packets sent on a path to a peer are
received by that peer. Path validation is used to ensure that packets received
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068#pullrequestreview-480332361

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2020 19:07:40 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

829972adf5cf1b1548b765d4cd79b921cc0e80b1  Some excellent suggestions

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068/files/fa52af45de79d8cd4eedeadc81462b2d049f7e34..829972adf5cf1b1548b765d4cd79b921cc0e80b1

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 01:56:29 -0700

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068#pullrequestreview-480618647

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2020 13:47:31 -0700

@MikeBishop approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068#pullrequestreview-481287315

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2020 04:50:00 -0700

Merged #4068 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4068#event-3729375303