Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Ben Kaduk's TLS Comment 10 (#4486)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 18:52:50 -0800

@kaduk said:

> Section 4.9
> 
>    An endpoint cannot discard keys for a given encryption level unless
>    it has both received and acknowledged all CRYPTO frames for that
>    encryption level and when all CRYPTO frames for that encryption level
>    have been acknowledged by its peer.  However, this does not guarantee
> 
> (nit/editorial) I believe that the "both" is meant to apply to "received
> and acknowledged" and "when all CRYTO frames [...] have been
> acknowledged", but the current formulation does not have parallel
> structure between those clauses, so it ends up reading more naturally as
> saying that the "both" refers to "received" and "acknowledged".  I don't
> have a simple suggestion for fixing it, though (it might require a
> significant restructuring to fix), so I'm leaving it here in my comments
> rather than incorporating a fix into my editorial PR.  (Any drastic
> rewording might consider the rest of the paragraph as well, as it seems
> to leave the reader without a clear sense for when it definitely is safe
> to discard old keys.)
> 
>    Though an endpoint might retain older keys, new data MUST be sent at
>    the highest currently-available encryption level.  Only ACK frames
>    and retransmissions of data in CRYPTO frames are sent at a previous
>    encryption level.  These packets MAY also include PADDING frames.
> 
> Is there anything useful to say about whether it is advisable to make
> retransmission packets have the same size as the original transmission?
> ("No" is a fine answer.)

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4486

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:57:47 -0800

Closed #4486 via #4693.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4486#event-4188770303