Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] A new IP (#4725)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 19:12:52 -0800

... is good for linkability.

Closes #4531.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725

-- Commit Summary --

  * A new IP

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (16)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:09:36 -0800

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725#pullrequestreview-565925416

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 00:01:15 -0800

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> +A client might wish to reduce linkability by switching to a new connection ID,
+source UDP port, or IP address (see {{?RFC4941}}) when sending traffic after a
+period of inactivity.  Changing the UDP port from which it sends packets at the
+same time might cause the packet to appear as a connection migration. This
+ensures that the mechanisms that support migration are exercised even for
+clients that do not experience NAT rebindings or genuine migrations.  Changing
+port number can cause a peer to reset its congestion control state (see
+{{migration-cc}}), so the port SHOULD only be changed infrequently.

You need to include "IP address" in subsequent sentences. I started doing that and found myself rewording more than just that.

```suggestion
A client can reduce linkability by switching to a new connection ID, changing
its source IP address (see {{?RFC4941}}), or changing its source port when
sending traffic after a period of inactivity. Changing a client's source IP
address or source port might cause the server to detect a connection migration,
ensuring that mechanisms that support migration are exercised even when clients
do not experience NAT rebindings or genuine migrations. The source IP address or
port number SHOULD only be changed infrequently at a client, since every change
can cause the server to reset its congestion control state (see
{{migration-cc}}).
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725#pullrequestreview-566015146

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 00:45:52 -0800

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

How about:

```suggestion
A client might wish to reduce linkability by switching to a new connection ID,
source UDP port, or IP address (see {{?RFC4941}}) when sending traffic after a
period of inactivity.  Changing the address from which it sends packets at the
same time might cause the packet to appear as a connection migration. This
ensures that the mechanisms that support migration are exercised even for
clients that do not experience NAT rebindings or genuine migrations.  Changing
address can cause a peer to reset its congestion control state (see
{{migration-cc}}), so addresses SHOULD only be changed infrequently.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725#discussion_r555599889

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:14:01 -0800

@janaiyengar pushed 1 commit.

0d415bafc49e90f21c320b4470aa211d6536c769  addresses, not just ports

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725/files/b9ca466b3f577689ce7a86131e541f7d4904d5f4..0d415bafc49e90f21c320b4470aa211d6536c769

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:15:10 -0800

> @@ -2642,14 +2642,14 @@ alternative services {{?ALTSVC=RFC7838}}.  Information that might allow correct
 routing of packets across multiple network paths will also allow activity on
 those paths to be linked by entities other than the peer.
 
-A client might wish to reduce linkability by employing a new connection ID and
-source UDP port when sending traffic after a period of inactivity.  Changing the
-UDP port from which it sends packets at the same time might cause the packet to
-appear as a connection migration. This ensures that the mechanisms that support
-migration are exercised even for clients that do not experience NAT rebindings
-or genuine migrations.  Changing port number can cause a peer to reset its
-congestion control state (see {{migration-cc}}), so the port SHOULD only be
-changed infrequently.
+A client might wish to reduce linkability by switching to a new connection ID,
+source UDP port, or IP address (see {{?RFC4941}}) when sending traffic after a
+period of inactivity.  Changing the address from which it sends packets at the
+same time might cause the packet to appear as a connection migration. This

```suggestion
same time might cause the server to detect a connection migration. This
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725#pullrequestreview-566802986

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:15:56 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

62f49dbc0d3ed90de95367f1ec323e534e2c257b  migration

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725/files/0d415bafc49e90f21c320b4470aa211d6536c769..62f49dbc0d3ed90de95367f1ec323e534e2c257b

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:16:03 -0800

Merged #4725 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4725#event-4198729404