Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Ben Kaduk's Transport Comment 11 (#4618)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:07:01 -0800

@kaduk said

> >                                                         Once a client
> > has received a valid Initial packet from the server, it MUST discard
> > any subsequent packet it receives with a different Source Connection
> > ID.
>
> This seems over-zealous as written, since it would seem to prevent the
> server from ever using a new Source Connection ID on that connection,
> even in response to a client migration event.  Is it intended to be
> scoped to just Initial (and Handshake?) packets as is done for the
> server in the following paragraph?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4618

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:42:15 -0800

This is deliberate and perfectly OK.

Once the server has made its choice using Initial packets, that is it.  If it wants the client to change the connection ID that is put in Destination Connection ID fields, then it can use NEW_CONNECTION_ID and maybe the Retire Prior To field in that frame.

A server cannot change connection IDs using Source Connection ID in response to migration as no long header packets can be sent once migration is possible.  Migration only occurs after the handshake is confirmed and any keys used to protect long header packets are discarded at that point.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4618#issuecomment-755829245

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:54:51 -0800

I consider this a misunderstanding that is better corrected with more reading than with more text.  I propose no change.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4618#issuecomment-758399537

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 01:50:20 -0800

Closed #4618.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4618#event-4194960882