Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Padding with invalid packets (#4739)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:34:12 -0800

This seems to have caused problems, so address it.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739

-- Commit Summary --

  * Make a new paragraph
  * Padding with invalid packets is OK

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (17)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:41:45 -0800

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

> @@ -4215,13 +4215,16 @@ meet size constraints; the endpoint MAY however discard such datagrams.
 A client MUST expand the payload of all UDP datagrams carrying Initial packets
 to at least the smallest allowed maximum datagram size of 1200 bytes by adding
 PADDING frames to the Initial packet or by coalescing the Initial packet; see
-{{packet-coalesce}}.  Similarly, a server MUST expand the payload of all UDP
-datagrams carrying ack-eliciting Initial packets to at least the smallest
-allowed maximum datagram size of 1200 bytes.  Sending UDP datagrams of this size
-ensures that the network path supports a reasonable Path Maximum Transmission
-Unit (PMTU), in both directions.  Additionally, a client that expands Initial
-packets helps reduce the amplitude of amplification attacks caused by server
-responses toward an unverified client address; see {{address-validation}}.
+{{packet-coalesce}}.  Initial packets can even be coalesced with invalid
+packets, which an receiver has to discard.  Similarly, a server MUST expand the

```suggestion
packets, which a receiver will discard.  Similarly, a server MUST expand the
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739#pullrequestreview-566812039

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:41:55 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

819965c05abb1bd7d52795af1eb35f309bcbdd26  will

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739/files/2000306a1d49c91f7fdcf38e7912a19610b1762c..819965c05abb1bd7d52795af1eb35f309bcbdd26

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 16:42:02 -0800

Merged #4739 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4739#event-4198830556