Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Reword unpadded PATH_CHALLENGE language (#4580)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 01:04:38 -0800

This was definitely odd.  Let&#39;s take another tilt at making it
comprehensible.

Closes #4513.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580

-- Commit Summary --

  * Reword unpadded PATH_CHALLENGE language

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (12)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 01:11:04 -0800

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

3dae7fe7689c7fc5d6cbb890c543f704f00d4284  Reword PATH_CHALLENGE validation

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580/files/7ca03d5591781277f804894b53c4a0f365468c01..3dae7fe7689c7fc5d6cbb890c543f704f00d4284

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 12:48:29 -0800

@ianswett approved this pull request.

> +A PATH_CHALLENGE frame that was sent in a datagram that was not expanded to at
+least 1200 bytes validates the peer address, but it does not validate the path

```suggestion
A PATH_CHALLENGE frame sent in a datagram that was not expanded to at
least 1200 bytes validates the peer address, but it does not validate the path
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580#pullrequestreview-563027205

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 16:34:28 -0800

54ed38fbfbb066ad6f3ac9606905068b94b70a4a  Expand

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580/files/3dae7fe7689c7fc5d6cbb890c543f704f00d4284..54ed38fbfbb066ad6f3ac9606905068b94b70a4a

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 16:34:33 -0800

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

Thanks, but I'll tweak further.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580#discussion_r553039664

---

From: Marten Seemann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 19:41:54 -0800

@marten-seemann approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580#pullrequestreview-563191592

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:53:15 -0800

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

> +A successful response to a PATH_CHALLENGE frame sent in a datagram that was not
+expanded to at least 1200 bytes validates the peer address, but it does not
+validate the path MTU. The endpoint is then able to send more than three times
+the amount of data that has been received. However, the endpoint MUST initiate
+another path validation with an expanded datagram to verify that the path
+supports required MTU.

```suggestion
If an endpoint sends a PATH_CHALLENGE frame in a datagram that is not expanded
to at least 1200 bytes, and if the response to it validates the peer address,
that path is validated but not the path MTU. As a result, the endpoint can now
send more than three times the amount of data that has been received but it MUST
initiate another path validation with an expanded datagram to verify that the
path supports required MTU.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580#pullrequestreview-563226522

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:56:04 -0800

9df89b574f8145acc092cbd1adc41225566c9acd  Better.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580/files/54ed38fbfbb066ad6f3ac9606905068b94b70a4a..9df89b574f8145acc092cbd1adc41225566c9acd

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:58:47 -0800

Merged #4580 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4580#event-4178317122