Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Robert Wiltons Transport Discuss 2 (#4667)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 18:39:10 -0800

Rob Wilton said:

> 2) In the case that the spin-bit is disabled, I don't understand the benefit of
> injecting a random spin bit value in each packet rather than always setting it
> to a per connection random value.  It seems that whether or not the randomness
> is injected, it is expected to be feasible to extract the RTT for those
> connections that are genuinely spinning the bit (or otherwise the spin bit is
> entirely pointless), but it just seems to make it computationally harder to
> extract the signal from the noise.  Perhaps the goal here is reduce the ability
> for pervasive monitoring to occur, but that feels a bit like security through
> obscurity.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4667

---

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 08:09:25 -0800

This was talked about on the IESG telechat 2020-01-07. The action item is to add clarity one what an endpoint that does not support the spin bit should do. Note that this is distinct from an endpoint that supports spin bit but chooses to disable it. The discussion leaned towards an editorial change to the text in Section 17.4, for instance in paragraph 3.

IIUC no other changes are needed to resolve this discuss, but we should confirm this via email.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4667#issuecomment-756212106

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 13:07:06 -0800

If that's the action item requested, this is a duplicate of #4666 and can be closed.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4667#issuecomment-756384446

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:59:55 -0800

Closing as a duplicate.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4667#issuecomment-756479927

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 16:59:55 -0800

Closed #4667.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4667#event-4182381435