Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Ben Kaduk's TLS Comment 5 (#4481)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 18:49:56 -0800

@kaduk said:

> Section 4.1.3
> 
>    Once the handshake is complete, TLS becomes passive.  TLS can still
>    receive data from its peer and respond in kind, but it will not need
>    to send more data unless specifically requested - either by an
>    application or QUIC.  [...]
> 
> (pedantic note) In some sense this is a forward-looking statement *about
> TLS*, which is not something the QUIC WG is chartered to work on.  That
> said, because of how TLS feature negotiation is done, any new kind of
> data spontaneously emitted by TLS would need to be negotiated with an
> extension in the handshake, but I don't think we are attempting to
> specifically lock down the set of extensions in the TLS handshake for
> QUIC connections, so in theory a change to the TLS implementation
> defaults could result in QUIC connections that have TLS spontaneously
> emit data.  On the gripping hand, I don't really see much need for a
> text change here.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4481

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 20:26:41 -0800

I think that the last sentence is correct.  TLS could spontaneously generate data to send (as a result of some new extension perhaps), and we don't need new mechanisms to support that.  This is really just an observation about how TLS *as it is defined today* operates.  (FWIW, an existing stack might generate a heartbeat message, but I think that was so violently disabled after heartbleed that we won't see it again.)

As suggested, the proposal here is to close with no action.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4481#issuecomment-755069901

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2021 07:29:08 -0800

agreed

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4481#issuecomment-756816354

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 21:00:52 -0800

Closed #4481.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4481#event-4193995654