Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Use SHOULD .. can rather than MAY (#4602)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 16:07:11 -0800

Closes #4559.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602

-- Commit Summary --

  * Use SHOULD .. can rather than MAY

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (4)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 19:22:30 -0800

@janaiyengar requested changes on this pull request.

>  An endpoint SHOULD copy the error code from the STOP_SENDING frame to the
-RESET_STREAM frame it sends, but MAY use any application error code.  An
+RESET_STREAM frame it sends, but can use any application error code.  An

Drop the "but can..." -- it's not necessary

>  IP address.  It SHOULD drop packets for this connection received on the old IP
-address, but MAY continue to process delayed packets.
+address, but can continue to process delayed packets.

This is badly written -- the SHOULD and the MAY apply to different packets. How about:
"The server SHOULD drop newer packets for this connection that are received on the old IP address. The server MAY continue to process older delayed packets that are received on the old IP address."

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602#pullrequestreview-563184762

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 19:26:27 -0800

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

Please make a separate issue and pull request for this.  I agree that this is a better formulation.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602#discussion_r553088692

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 19:36:25 -0800

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

My point here is that removing the MAY is ok, but the semantics are different. "can" is a statement of fact, and it's not necessary to say that an an endpoint _can_ send any error code in addition to what it SHOULD do. Though I don't feel strongly.

If the can is to be retained, I'd suggest flipping the primary and secondary clauses -- "can use any error code, but SHOULD copy"

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602#discussion_r553090955

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:37:37 -0800

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

Ok, let's merge this one, and I'll make a separate PR for the second comment.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602#pullrequestreview-563221671

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:37:54 -0800

Merged #4602 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4602#event-4178266122