Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Roman Danyliw's TLS Comment 1 (#4556)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2021 20:19:17 -0800

Roman Danyliw said:

> ** Section 4.  Recommend a bit more text up front describing the notion of
> “encryption levels”.  This section first introduces the concept by noting that
> “Those frames are packaged into QUIC packets and encrypted under the current
> TLS encryption level”.  Later in Section 4.1.3, it is noted that “Four
> encryption levels are used, producing keys for Initial, 0-RTT, Handshake, and
> 1-RTT packets” which makes these “levels” seem only like categories.  In
> describing specific processing there is text such as “When TLS provides keys
> for a higher encryption level …” which now describes a relatively ordering
> perhaps with something have having or less.  I might be helpful to include an
> early narrative on what “higher” and “lower” and encryption “levels” means and
> how level changes occur (i.e., explicitly linking them to changes in the QUIC
> state machine).

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4556

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 15:38:19 -0800

I'm going to suggest that the text I propose in #4561 addresses this first part of this.

The higher/lower stuff seems like it could be better, but it's a lot of work to do carefully.  I'm going to suggest that we could live with this, but I might leave this issue open and try to find a fix once other more pressing issues are dealt with.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4556#issuecomment-755780190

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 20:57:54 -0800

Closed #4556.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4556#event-4193989765