Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Ben Kaduk's Transport Comment 26 (#4638)

From: Lucas Pardue <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:57:55 -0800

@kaduk said:

> Section 12.4
>
> A forward-reference to §19.21 for how extension frames can be used might
> be useful.
>
> Why are PATH_CHALLENGE/PATH_RESPONSE allowed in the 0-RTT packet number
> space?  (Hmm, the prose and table may be inconsistent here, too.  I
> touch some things in my PR but I think not all of them.)  The server
> isn't allowed to send at that level, so it seems that even if a client
> did sent PATH_CHALLENGE in 0-RTT, the PATH_RESPONSE would have to come
> back in 1-RTT.  (And with no challenge to reply to, the client can't
> very well send a PATH_RESPONSE in 0-RTT.)  Also, IIRC, we state
> elsewhere that we require a stable path for the duration of the
> handshake.  Even preferred-address probing can't occur until the client
> has the server's transport parameters, which aren't usable until 1-RTT
> keys are available (even if they may technically be available prior to
> then).

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4638

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 21:49:49 -0800

This is a misunderstanding.  0-RTT is not a packet number space.  0-RTT packets are sent in the same packet number space as 1-RTT.

As our prohibitions on frame usage are by packet number space and not packet type (or encryption level, same thing), we don't expressly prohibit these frames from 0-RTT.  Some are impossible though, even if they aren't prohibited.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4638#issuecomment-755900586

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2021 18:09:31 -0800

Closed #4638 via #4720.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/issues/4638#event-4188705784