Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Implementations have limits (#4823)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 07:42:44 -0800

Fixes #4802.  Not sure whether this is design or not; it adds normative requirements, but they were already implicit.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823

-- Commit Summary --

  * Bound and rebound

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-qpack.md (6)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 08:55:29 -0800

Let's label it design.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823#issuecomment-771785276

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 08:59:43 -0800

@afrind commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1411,7 +1411,11 @@ weaknesses.
 An implementation has to set a limit for the values it accepts for integers, as
 well as for the encoded length; see {{prefixed-integers}}. In the same way, it
 has to set a limit to the length it accepts for string literals; see
-{{string-literals}}.
+{{string-literals}}.  These limits SHOULD be large enough to process the
+largest individual field the HTTP implementation can be configured to accept.
+
+If an implementation encounters a value larger than it is able to decode,
+this MUST be treated as a stream error of QPACK_DECOMPRESSION_FAILED.

Would this be a connection error if the too-large literal occurred on the encoder stream?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823#pullrequestreview-581564358

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 09:15:40 -0800

@MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

Technically, it could be any of the three error types we define, depending where it occurs.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823#discussion_r568782674

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 09:15:45 -0800

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

e3048dc95afda9b372590ce2c77b7e198ad53f9c  Connection errors, too

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823/files/1b70cfaaacb6064c17f7adf038af9fe0f323752e..e3048dc95afda9b372590ce2c77b7e198ad53f9c

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 13:19:27 -0800

@martinthomson approved this pull request.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823#pullrequestreview-581782867

---

From: afrind <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 15:06:13 -0800

Merged #4823 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4823#event-4282222420