Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Second batch of changes for transport (#4879)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2021 23:58:30 -0700

Sections 11 through 20.

This breaks due to relying on changes in kramdown-rfc2629.  I&#39;ll work around that requirement if things stick on that end.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879

-- Commit Summary --

  * RPC text changes, Sections 11 through 20
  * Asides

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-transport.md (495)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 00:54:35 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 13 commits.

8e141b57cac67e3d61b0ef79f33535ed399e60ba  Remove spacing from frame type ranges
88b9b8ae9cfa3500c0a3a83383c18c2e989adc8b  Align the definition lists better
7794ab03cfd120eaee11163ab77352d96543a757  Clarify retransmission rules for closing signals
747fa80b8d20e3a11c8ce287b280b8f80e2c18aa  Fix subject-verb agreement
4157118d5d840dbb83f149ed36ae8bc9ffb3d6e5  It's item 7, not bullet 7
77a7704854cdcdc1d83cbaab4e00a80148501c4a  2MSB instead
9ffb7b702d6d09fcc52f1d0025ffe7703de457a0  Missed mention of the examples
d00ce244292cc38611bf22ccb8eb788b46c3ff1c  It's not required to start, but you need it in the end
cfa4073c587738dc481bb8cb388a98636a701173  The packet payload is common enough to move
56d8a5cae76030536af9ac9a0b84ab332b4a4678  Be specific about injection attacks
a639e9f8243b8052c2fb488dd30454917bb290fc  It is ANY Initial packet now
48a56d4f45015233d3517a77b11e8800d62ea7ae  Let's just use ECN-CE throughout, the ECN- part is not implied here
6baec2cb66bf803dd971e832781c4e2ebfa3f1dc  Make it parse

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879/files/bef96892374b4ce332f99edbd969834a4089a33c..6baec2cb66bf803dd971e832781c4e2ebfa3f1dc

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 00:56:02 -0700

Note: There were a few non-trivial changes in here.  The final batch of commits can be considered atomic as they are in response to specific queries or issues raised by the RPC.

I didn't make separate PRs because most build on top of other edits and conflict management is not fun.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879#issuecomment-829915691

---

From: Nick Banks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 08:12:35 -0700

@nibanks approved this pull request.

LGTM

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879#pullrequestreview-649321774

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 19:14:31 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

Thank you for the work, @martinthomson -- a few comments.

> +  frames, are not sent again when packet loss is detected. Retransmission of
+  these packets is described in {{termination}}.

```suggestion
  frames, are not sent again when packet loss is detected. Resending
  these signals is described in {{termination}}.
```

 ### PMTU Probes Containing Source Connection ID {#pmtu-probes-src-cid}
 
-Endpoints that rely on the destination connection ID for routing incoming QUIC
+Endpoints that rely on the Destination Connection ID for routing incoming QUIC

```suggestion
Endpoints that rely on the Destination Connection ID field for routing incoming QUIC
```

>    using header protection; see {{Section 5.4 of QUIC-TLS}}.
 
 Length:
 
-: The length of the remainder of the packet (that is, the Packet Number and
-  Payload fields) in bytes, encoded as a variable-length integer
+: This is the length of the remainder of the packet (that is, the Packet Number
+  and Payload fields) in bytes, encoded as a variable-length integer
   ({{integer-encoding}}).
 
 Packet Number:

The line below should be "This field is"

> @@ -4659,14 +4667,20 @@ Packet Number:
   packet number field is encoded in the Packet Number Length bits of byte 0; see

"this field"

> @@ -4659,14 +4667,20 @@ Packet Number:
   packet number field is encoded in the Packet Number Length bits of byte 0; see
   above.
 
+Packet Payload:
+
+: The payload of the packet, which contains frames that are protected using

```suggestion
: This is the payload of the packet -- a sequence of frames -- and is protected using
```

 The following transport parameters are defined:
 
 original_destination_connection_id (0x00):
 
-: The value of the Destination Connection ID field from the first Initial packet
-  sent by the client; see {{cid-auth}}.  This transport parameter is only sent
-  by a server.
+: This parameter is the value of the Destination Connection ID field from the

Oh, is this to be done only for the first element in a list?

> @@ -5415,14 +5426,14 @@ active_connection_id_limit (0x0e):
 
 initial_source_connection_id (0x0f):
 
-: The value that the endpoint included in the Source Connection ID field of the
-  first Initial packet it sends for the connection; see {{cid-auth}}.
+: This is the value that the endpoint included in the Source Connection ID field

The use of "This is" here (and below) seems to be arbitrary and doesn't seem uniform, but I could be missing something. What is the logic here?

> @@ -6193,8 +6203,8 @@ PROTOCOL_VIOLATION.
 The Retire Prior To field applies to connection IDs established during
 connection setup and the preferred_address transport parameter; see
 {{retire-cid}}. The Retire Prior To field MUST be less than or equal to the

```suggestion
{{retire-cid}}. The value in the Retire Prior To field MUST be less than or equal to the value in the
```

> +Sequence Number field. Receiving a value greater than the value in the Sequence
+Number field MUST be treated as a connection error of type FRAME_ENCODING_ERROR.

```suggestion
Sequence Number field. Receiving a value in the Retire Prior To field that is greater than that in the Sequence
Number field MUST be treated as a connection error of type FRAME_ENCODING_ERROR.
```

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4879#pullrequestreview-649705331