Subject: Re: [quicwg/base-drafts] RPC text changes for -tls (#4875)

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 17:02:56 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 1 commit.

34e25dbe172d1e4080ce4e197f488818cd92b73b  thean

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4875/files/a67dd5d2d9abf71079bb2abc69a5b6a92160de0e..34e25dbe172d1e4080ce4e197f488818cd92b73b

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 May 2021 17:07:22 -0700

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

> @@ -1613,10 +1677,10 @@ key update, but has not updated keys in response.
 
 Endpoints responding to an apparent key update MUST NOT generate a timing
 side-channel signal that might indicate that the Key Phase bit was invalid (see
-{{header-protect-analysis}}).  Endpoints can use dummy packet protection keys in
-place of discarded keys when key updates are not yet permitted.  Using dummy
-keys will generate no variation in the timing signal produced by attempting to
-remove packet protection, and results in all packets with an invalid Key Phase
+{{hp-side-channel}}).  Endpoints can use randomized packet protection keys in

Randomizing is how you have to make such a key.  Arbitrary suggests that `return 4;` [[citation](https://xkcd.com/221/)] is OK, when it definitely isn't.  If you don't use strong randomness, then an attacker might be able to convince you to accept their input.

(You can fold the fact that the key is bogus in to the final assessment, but that changes the scope of code that needs to be constant time, which is much easier to mess up than just using good randomness.)

I'd suggest including more text on this, but it's not really a good time.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4875#discussion_r624816871

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 18:10:15 -0700

@martinthomson pushed 2 commits.

074a7e3abdd6facf2a6ca64a96fe8f840a3e750d  Rewrite to avoid awkward line break
ba4104d0582617311b20af4888125d16f0c1fe22  Merge branch 'tls-wrap-exponent' into rpc-tls

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4875/files/616f5f3fdb9d6cc9e4fdc17a72ddd196888ceeca..ba4104d0582617311b20af4888125d16f0c1fe22

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 13:15:34 -0700

@janaiyengar commented on this pull request.

Thank you for clarifying -- now that I understand this better, I'm happy with the text.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4875#discussion_r626075075

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 13:16:12 -0700

@janaiyengar approved this pull request.

Thanks, @martinthomson !

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4875#pullrequestreview-651626599

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2021 15:27:26 -0700

Merged #4875 into master.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4875#event-4685984265