Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Specify CONNECT error handling bidirectionally (#4941)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 07:49:03 -0700

Fixes #4939
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941

-- Commit Summary --

  * <a href="https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941/commits/81fa45671bc004529d76b7444567d5a75b642467">Martin&#39;s text, mostly</a>

-- File Changes --

    M draft-ietf-quic-http.md (13)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941.diff

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 15:09:28 -0700

@martinthomson approved this pull request.

Better than my text :)

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941#pullrequestreview-772029940

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 18:08:13 -0700

@DavidSchinazi commented on this pull request.

> @@ -793,10 +793,15 @@ data from the target of the CONNECT.
 A TCP connection error is signaled by abruptly terminating the stream. A proxy
 treats any error in the TCP connection, which includes receiving a TCP segment
 with the RST bit set, as a stream error of type H3_CONNECT_ERROR; see
-{{errors}}.  Correspondingly, if a proxy detects an error with the stream or the
-QUIC connection, it MUST close the TCP connection.  If the underlying TCP
-implementation permits it, the proxy SHOULD send a TCP segment with the RST bit
-set.
+{{errors}}.
+
+Correspondingly, if a proxy detects an error with the stream or the QUIC
+connection, it MUST close the TCP connection.  Similarly, if the proxy receives
+a QUIC RESET_STREAM frame or STOP_SENDING frame for the stream, it MUST close

It makes sense for RESET_STREAM to RST the TCP connection, but STOP_SENDING could be safely ignored because there's no equivalent in TCP?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941#pullrequestreview-772110128

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 12:51:23 -0700

@MikeBishop commented on this pull request.

STOP_SENDING directs the proxy to reset the CONNECT stream toward the client.  TCP doesn't have a concept of a "half-reset" connection, only a half-closed one.  If you reset anything, you need to reset the whole thing.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941#discussion_r723627177

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 14:19:43 -0700

@DavidSchinazi approved this pull request.

Oh you're totally right, thanks for clarifying.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941#pullrequestreview-773237184

---

From: Ryan Hamilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 07:42:51 -0700

This looks great to me.

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941#issuecomment-946795886

---

From: ianswett <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 17:16:26 -0700

@ianswett approved this pull request.

This looks ready to go, are we merging it soon?

-- 
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4941#pullrequestreview-792527995