Subject: [quicwg/base-drafts] Capitalize (or not) stream ID, push ID (PR #4961)

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 12:34:19 -0800

I believe I wound up lower-casing all instances of &quot;stream ID&quot; outside of diagrams since H3 has no reason to talk directly about the payloads of QUIC frames.  The H3 frames mostly talk about the stream ID being encoded in the packet without giving the field a name per se.

For Push ID, there are some direct references to the field, so I left a few capitalized instances -- primarily in PUSH_PROMISE and a few in GOAWAY.  I would appreciate a review of the ones I *didn&#39;t* change, in case anyone things I should lower-case them as well.

Fixes #4950.
You can view, comment on, or merge this pull request online at:

  https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961

-- Commit Summary --

  * Lower-case &quot;stream ID&quot; unless referencing a protocol element
  * Lower-case &quot;push ID&quot; unless referencing a protocol element
  * Lower-case &quot;stream&quot; in non-ID case

-- File Changes --

    M rfc9114.md (106)

-- Patch Links --

https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961.patch
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961.diff

-- 
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.

Message ID: &lt;quicwg/base-drafts/pull/[email-masked]&gt;

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 16:59:24 -0800

@martinthomson commented on this pull request.

>      server might have been processed; their status cannot be known until a
     response is received, the stream is reset individually, another GOAWAY is
-    received with a lower Stream ID than that of the request in question,
+    received with a lower stream ID than that of the request in question,
     or the connection terminates.
 
     Servers MAY reject individual requests on streams below the indicated ID if

Missed "Push ID" -> "push ID" on line 1052.

>  that has not yet been mentioned by a PUSH_PROMISE frame due to reordering.  If a
-server receives a CANCEL_PUSH frame for a Push ID that has not yet been
-mentioned by a PUSH_PROMISE frame, this MUST be treated as a connection error of
-type H3_ID_ERROR.
+server receives a CANCEL_PUSH frame whose Push ID has not yet been mentioned by

I think that "whose" is problematic here.  And this would seem to be referring to the Push ID field value, which would be a push ID (lowercase) as used.

> @@ -1615,7 +1615,7 @@ PUSH_PROMISE Frame {
 The payload consists of:
 
 Push ID:
-: A variable-length integer that identifies the server push operation.  A Push
+: A variable-length integer that identifies the server push operation.  A push
   ID is used in push stream headers ({{server-push}}) and CANCEL_PUSH frames
   ({{frame-cancel-push}}).

On lines 1626-1645, I think this needs to be lowercase: "A server MUST NOT use a Push ID that is larger than" (six instances)

>  larger range of possible values than the encoding used in HTTP/2.  Some frames
-in HTTP/3 use an identifier other than a Stream ID (e.g., Push
+in HTTP/3 use an identifier other than a stream ID (e.g., Push

```suggestion
in HTTP/3 use an identifier other than a stream ID (e.g., push
```

The alternative is to talk about fields, but this is, I believe, more correct.

-- 
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961#pullrequestreview-893163315
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.

Message ID: <quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961/review/[email-masked]>

---

From: Mike Bishop <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 09:12:06 -0800

@MikeBishop pushed 1 commit.

4b7ab50ac9707f9a42fed0d39ff1e593ebf55780  More lowercase, courtesy of @martinthomson

-- 
View it on GitHub:
https://github.com/quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961/files/6dc3070bb744d4793f7a4523b7792c718d62e299..4b7ab50ac9707f9a42fed0d39ff1e593ebf55780
You are receiving this because you are subscribed to this thread.

Message ID: <quicwg/base-drafts/pull/4961/push/[email-masked]>