Subject: [radext] RFC 6158 Reviews: how does it work in practice?

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:45:08 -0800

RFC 6158 Section 1.3.1 states: 

For specifications utilizing attributes within the standard space,
   conformance with the design guidelines in this document is expected
   unless a good case can be made for an exception.  Reviewers SHOULD
   use the design guidelines as a review checklist.

[BA]  How do we ensure that these reviews are actually carried out?  Currently the O&M Directorate and AAA Doctors are not conducting RFC 6158 reviews of RADIUS documents on a regular basis.  Sometimes such a review is requested of RADEXT, and sometimes it is not.   

If there is no systematic review process, in practice the RFC 6158 guidelines will be ignored.  

_______________________________________________
radext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:45:08 -0800

---

From: Dave Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:47:38 -0500

> guidelines will be ignored.

AFAICT, the only way reviews are ever guaranteed in the IETF is via
the diligence of the IESG.  All other mechanisms are best effort.
_______________________________________________
radext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext

---

From: Dave Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:47:38 -0500

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:48:29 -0800

David Nelson said:

"AFAICT, the only way reviews are ever guaranteed in the IETF is via the diligence of the IESG.  All other mechanisms are best effort."

[BA] Right.  In practice, these kind of reviews are often handled by directorates or "Doctor" groups.  I'm just pointing out that there is currently no process for ensuring that such reviews occur for AAA documents.  This is not just a problem for RFC 6158;  other AAA-related RFCs and BCPs are also being routinely ignored.

---

From: Bernard Aboba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:48:29 -0800

David Nelson said:

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:51:45 +0100

Bernard Aboba wrote:
> [BA]  How do we ensure that these reviews are actually carried out?

  cron?

$ rsync -avz --delete ftp.rfc-editor.org::internet-drafts .

$ perl -ne 'next if !/^draft-ietf-/;next if /^draft-ietf-radext/;next if
/^draft-ietf-dime/;chop;split;next if ($_[2] eq "RFC");next if ($_[2] eq
"Expired");next if ! -f "$_[0].txt";print $_[0],".txt\n";' < all_id.txt
> radius.txt

$ for x in `cat radius.txt`; do \
	    egrep -l RADIUS $x >> radext-review.txt; \
  done

  That gives us a list (below).  We could post the list once a month to
radext and aaa-doctors.  That would at least ensure the documents get
noted in IESG review, or IETF last call.

draft-ietf-emu-eaptunnel-req-09.txt
draft-ietf-mip4-generic-notification-message-16.txt
draft-ietf-mip6-bootstrapping-integrated-dhc-06.txt
draft-ietf-mip6-hiopt-17.txt
draft-ietf-netconf-access-control-07.txt
draft-ietf-netext-radius-pmip6-06.txt
draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-radius-ext-07.txt
draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-02.txt
draft-ietf-abfab-arch-00.txt
draft-ietf-abfab-gss-eap-04.txt
draft-ietf-abfab-gss-eap-naming-01.txt
draft-ietf-emu-chbind-12.txt
draft-ietf-emu-eap-tunnel-method-01.txt
draft-ietf-geopriv-held-measurements-04.txt
draft-ietf-hokey-rfc5296bis-06.txt
draft-ietf-karp-ops-model-01.txt
draft-ietf-nea-pt-tls-01.txt
draft-ietf-opsawg-management-stds-03.txt
draft-ietf-precis-framework-01.txt
draft-ietf-softwire-6rd-radius-attrib-04.txt
draft-ietf-softwire-dslite-deployment-01.txt
draft-ietf-storm-iscsi-cons-04.txt

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Alan DeKok <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 20:51:45 +0100

cron?

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:03:20 +0100

Yes. 

The AAA-Doctors team secretary should scan all documents that enter IETF Last Call and identify those who have any trace of RADIUS/Diameter/other_AAA content, and then dispatch them to the AAA-Doctors team for review according to some algorithm of his own. 

OPS-DIR use this method and it works pretty well for them. 

It's still best-effort, as all volunteer work we do in the IETF. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of Alan DeKok
Sent: Tue 1/10/2012 9:51 PM
To: Bernard Aboba
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [radext] RFC 6158 Reviews:  how does it work in practice?

  cron?

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 21:03:20 +0100

Yes. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of Alan DeKok
Sent: Tue 1/10/2012 9:51 PM
To: Bernard Aboba
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [radext] RFC 6158 Reviews:  how does it work in practice?

  cron?

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: Dave Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:26:50 -0500

---

From: Dave Nelson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 14:26:50 -0500