Subject: [radext] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5176 (3103)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 01:53:00 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5176,
"Dynamic Authorization Extensions to Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5176&eid=3103

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Davide Magistri <[email-masked]>

Section: 7

Original Text
-------------
Disconnect Request with User-Name:

       0: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx 2801 001c 1b23    .B.....$.-(....#
      16: 624c 3543 ceba 55f1 be55 a714 ca5e 0108    bL5C..U..U...^..
      32: 6d63 6869 6261

Disconnect Request with Acct-Session-ID:

       0: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx 2801 001e ad0d    .B..... ~.(.....
      16: 8e53 55b6 bd02 a0cb ace6 4e38 77bd 2c0a    .SU.......N8w.,.
      32: 3930 3233 3435 3637                        90234567

Disconnect Request with Framed-IP-Address:

       0: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx 2801 001a 0bda    .B....."2.(.....
      16: 33fe 765b 05f0 fd9c c32a 2f6b 5182 0806    3.v[.....*/kQ...
      32: 0a00 0203

Corrected Text
--------------
Disconnect Request with User-Name:

       0: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx 2801 001c 1b23    .B.....$.-(....#
      16: 624c 3543 ceba 55f1 be55 a714 ca5e 0108    bL5C..U..U...^..
      32: 6d63 6869 6261

Disconnect Request with Acct-Session-ID:

       0: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx 2801 001e ad0d    .B..... ~.(.....
      16: 8e53 55b6 bd02 a0cb ace6 4e38 77bd 2c0a    .SU.......N8w.,.
      32: 3930 3233 3435 3637                        90234567

Notes
-----
Since cardinality notation value for Framed-IP-Address attribute has now been changed in section 3.6 ("Table of Attributes") compared to previous 3576 RFC (change was from "0-1" to "0"), the "Disconnect Request with Framed-IP-Address" example in section 7 ("Example traces") should be removed.

Furthermore, a new bullet in "Appendix A. Changes from RFC 3576" should be foreseen (just like the one related to Service-Type Attribute), such as:
o  Use of the Framed-IP-Address, Framed-Interface-Id and Framed-IPv6-Prefix Attributes within a Disconnect-Request is prohibited

Broadly speaking, one thing that seems to me a bit unclear is that Attributes such as Framed-IP-Address, Framed-Interface-Id and Framed-IPv6-Prefix are still valid session identifiers that could be present in CoA Requests, while they have been totally prohibited in Disconnect Requests ( even if they are mentioned as valid in section 3, end of page #10 ).
>From my point of view, either it's misplaced the example in section 7 or cardinality notation values in Disconnect Message Table of Attributes (related to the ones mentioned above) should be changed back to "0-1" (I personally think this last option would be better).

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5176 (draft-ietf-radext-rfc3576bis-13)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Dynamic Authorization Extensions to Remote Authentication Dial In User Service (RADIUS)
Publication Date    : January 2008
Author(s)           : M. Chiba, G. Dommety, M. Eklund, D. Mitton, B. Aboba
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : RADIUS EXTensions
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Clint Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 13:16:56 -0800

I'm not seeing it.  What's the difference between the replaced text
and the replacing text?

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:53 AM, RFC Errata System
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> radext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext

-- 
Clint (JOATMON) Chaplin
Principal Engineer
Standards & Technology Enabling
Advanced Technology Lab
Samsung Electronics US R&D Center

---

From: Davide Magistri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 00:11:22 +0100

In the replacing text, the "Disconnect Request with Framed-IP-Address"
example is missing.

What I meant is that given the cardinality value contained in the
"Disconnect Message Table of Attributes", the "Example Traces" section
should not contain a Disconnect Request with Framed-IP-Address
attribute.
I just couldn't think of a better way to fill the "replaced text" and
"replacing text" fields in the form. I apologize if this wasn't
straightforward.

---

From: Clint Chaplin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2012 13:16:56 -0800

---

From: Davide Magistri <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 00:11:22 +0100