Subject: [radext] #109: Additional IEEE 802.11 Attributes

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 21:42:20 -0000

#109: Additional IEEE 802.11 Attributes

 I've received a few off list suggestions for additional RADIUS attributes
 to add to RADIUS Attributes for IEEE 802 Networks.  These include

 1.   WLAN-Reason-Code  - used to transmit the reason for authentication
 failure from AAA to AP in an Access-Reject.  The code is included in
 reason code of a Disassociation or De-authentication Frame
 2.   WLAN-Pairwise-Cipher - communicates the negotiated pairwise cipher
 from the AP to the AAA.
 3.  WLAN-Group-Cipher - communicates the negotiated group cipher from the
 AP to the AAA.
 4.  WLAN-AKM-Suite - contains information on the authentication and key
 management suite negotiated buy the AP.
 5.  WLAN-RF-Band - contains information on the RF band used by the AP.

 Below is suggested text for these attributes from Dave Stephenson:

 Thanks,

 Joe

 2.9.  WLAN-Reason-Code

 Description

 The WLAN-Reason-Code Attribute contains information on the reason for
 authorization failure subsequent to a mobile device’s authentication
 request towards a Wi-Fi access network.

 A WLAN-Reason-Code Attribute MAY be included within an Access-Reject or
 Disconnect-Request packet.  Upon receipt of an Access-Reject packet, the
 WLAN-Reason-Code value is copied by the Authenticator / AP into the Reason
 code field of a Disassociation or Deauthentication frame (see clause
 8.3.3.4 and 8.3.3.12 respectively in IEEE 802.11-2012), which is
 subsequently transmitted to the Supplicant / mobile device.  A summary of
 the WLAN-Reason-Code Attribute format is shown below.  The fields are
 transmitted from left to right.

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Type      |  Length       |             Value             |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Code
  tbd8

 Length
  =2

 Value
 The Value field is two octets containing a 16-bit unsigned integer drawn
 from Table 8-36 in clause 8.4.1.7 of IEEE 802.11-2012.  The value’s least
 significant octet is contained in bits 23-16 and most significant octet in
 bits 31-24 (network octet order).  Note: not all reason codes defined in
 the Table 8-36 are expected to be used by an AS.

 [Note]: the importance of including this attribute is for authentication
 and authorization of mobile devices in public Wi-Fi access; it is
 important to inform the mobile when authorization is denied, even though
 authentication may have been successful.  This can occur for AS policy
 reasons or for reasons related to the user’s subscription.  The following
 Reason codes for public Wi-Fi access networks were added by the IEEE
 802.11u-2011 amendment:

 Reason
  Code
  Value   Description
 27      Disassociated because session terminated by SP request
 28      Disassociated because of lack of SP roaming agreement
 29      Requested service rejected because of SP cipher suite or AKM
 requirement
 30      Requested service not authorized in this location

 2.10.  WLAN-Pairwise-Cipher

 Description

 The WLAN-Pairwise-Cipher Attribute contains information on the pairwise
 cipher suite used to establish the robust security network association
 (RSNA) between the AP and mobile device.

 A WLAN-Pairwise-Cipher Attribute SHOULD be included within an Access-
 Request packet.  A summary of the WLAN-Pairwise-Cipher Attribute format is
 shown below.  The fields are transmitted from left to right.

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Type      |  Length       |             Value
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
             Value                |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Code
  tbd9

 Length
  =4

 Value
 The Value field is four octets formatted in accordance with Figure 8-187
 with values drawn from Table 8-99 of IEEE 802.11-2012.

 2.11.  WLAN-Group-Cipher

 Description

 The WLAN-Group-Cipher Attribute contains information on the group cipher
 suite used to establish the robust security network association (RSNA)
 between the AP and mobile device.

 A WLAN-Group-Cipher Attribute SHOULD be included within an Access-Request
 packet.  A summary of the WLAN-Group-Cipher Attribute format is shown
 below.  The fields are transmitted from left to right.

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Type      |  Length       |             Value
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
             Value                |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Code
  tbd10

 Length
  =4

 Value
 The Value field is four octets formatted in accordance with Figure 8-187
 with values drawn from Table 8-99 of IEEE 802.11-2012.

 2.12.  WLAN-AKM-Suite

 Description

 The WLAN-AKM-Suite Attribute contains information on the authentication
 and key management suite used to establish the robust security network
 association (RSNA) between the AP and mobile device.

 A WLAN-AKM-Suite Attribute SHOULD be included within an Access-Request
 packet.  A summary of the WLAN-AKM-Suite Attribute format is shown below.
 The fields are transmitted from left to right.

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Type      |  Length       |             Value
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
             Value                |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Code
  tbd11

 Length
  =4

 Value
 The Value field is four octets formatted in accordance with Figure 8-187
 with values drawn from Table 8-101 of IEEE 802.11-2012.

 2.12.  WLAN-RF-Band

 Description

 The WLAN-RF-Band Attribute contains information on the RF band used by the
 AP for transmission and reception of information to and from the mobile
 device.  This information can be used, for example, to provide a relative
 quality of experience indication for the mobile device’s user (i.e., some
 RF bands have more interference than others).

 A WLAN-RF-Band Attribute SHOULD be included within an Access-Request
 packet.  A summary of the WLAN-RF-Band Attribute format is shown below.
 The fields are transmitted from left to right.

   0                   1                   2                   3
   0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  |     Type      |  Length       |     Value     |   Reserved    |
  +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Code
  tbd12

 Length
  =2

 Value
 The Value field is 1 octet having a value chosen from the table below:
 Band ID value     Meaning
       0           TV white spaces
       1           Sub-1 GHz (excluding TV white spaces)
       2           2.4 GHz
       3           3.6 GHz
       4           4.9 and 5 GHz
       5           60 GHz
       6-255       Reserved

 [Note]: this table was copied from IEEE 802.11ad-d5.  I’m not sure of the
 relative publication dates of this internet draft and IEEE 802.11ad-d5.
 Since it’s generally not recommended to reference a draft specification in
 an RFC, I’ve copied the table.  If we discover that the IEEE document will
 be published in time, then we could deleted the table and instead
 reference Table 8-53a in IEEE 802.11ad.

-- 
-----------------------------+-----------------------------
 Reporter:  jsalowey@…       |      Owner:  bernard_aboba@…
     Type:  defect           |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major            |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  ieee802ext       |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Keywords:
-----------------------------+-----------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/109>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>

_______________________________________________
radext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext