Subject: [radext] #140: tearing down the DTLS session when there is an upper layer discard

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 05:24:24 -0000

#140: tearing down the DTLS session when there is an upper layer discard

 5.  Section 4.1.3

 I'm not convinced that tearing down the DTLS session when there is an
 upper layer discard is the right thing to do.   For example its possible
 that a packet is discard because of EAP processing.  In this case the DTLS
 session would be torn down.  I would be possible for a network access
 client to cause the DTLS session between the RADIUS client and server to
 be torn down.  This doesn't seem like a good thing.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |      Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]     |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major        |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  dtls         |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last   |   Keywords:
  Call                   |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/140>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>

---

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 12:52:49 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => fixed

Comment:

 RFC 3579 Section 2.2 says:

    Pending EAP Responses
    that do not match the current Identifier value are silently discarded
    by the NAS.

 That seems a bad reason to tear down the DTLS session.  As a result, it
 can be left up in that situation.

 Suggested text:

    There are other
    cases when the specifications require that a packet received via a
    DTLS session be "silently discarded".  In those cases,
    implementations MAY delete the underlying session as described above.
    There are few reasons to communicate with a NAS which is not
    implementing RADIUS.

-- 
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------
 Reporter:               |       Owner:  draft-ietf-radext-
  [email-masked]     |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect       |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major        |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  dtls         |     Version:  1.0
 Severity:  In WG Last   |  Resolution:  fixed
  Call                   |
 Keywords:               |
-------------------------+-------------------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/140#comment:1>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>