Subject: [radext] WG Action: Rechartered RADIUS EXTensions (radext)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 09:14:30 -0800

The RADIUS EXTensions (radext) working group in the Operations and
Management Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional
information please contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

RADIUS EXTensions (radext)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Jouni Korhonen <[email-masked]>
  Mauricio Sanchez <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Paul Congdon <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/radext
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/radext/

Charter of Working Group:

The RADIUS Extensions Working Group will focus on extensions to the 
RADIUS protocol required to expand and enrich the standard attribute 
space, address  cryptographic algorithm agility, use of new secure 
transports and clarify its usage and definition.

In order to maintain interoperation of heterogeneous RADIUS/Diameter 
deployments, all RADEXT WG work items except those that just define new 
attributes MUST contain a Diameter compatibility section, outlining how 
interoperability with Diameter will be maintained.

Furthermore, to ensure backward compatibility with existing RADIUS  
implementations, as well as compatibility between RADIUS and Diameter, 
the following restrictions are imposed on extensions considered by the 
RADEXT WG:

- All documents produced MUST specify means of interoperation with 
legacy RADIUS and, if possible, be backward compatible with existing 
RADIUS RFCs, including RFCs 2865-2869, 3162, 3575, 3579, 3580, 
4668-4673,4675, 5080, 5090, 5176 and 6158. Transport profiles should, if 
possible, be compatible with RFC 3539.

Work Items
The immediate goals of the RADEXT working group are to address the 
following issues:

- RADIUS attribute space extension. The standard RADIUS attribute space 
is currently being depleted. This document will provide additional 
standard attribute space, while maintaining backward compatibility with 
existing attributes.

- IEEE 802 attributes. New attributes have been proposed to support IEEE 
802 standards for wired and wireless LANs. This work item will support 
authentication, authorization and accounting attributes needed by IEEE 
802 groups including IEEE 802.1, IEEE 802.11 and IEEE 802.16.

- New RADIUS transports. A reliable transport profile for RADIUS will be 
developed, as well as specifications for Secure transports, including 
TCP/TLS (RADSEC) and UDP/DTLS.

- Update and clarification of Network Access Identifiers (RFC4282). This 
work item will correct and clarify issues present with RFC4282 in two 
phases.  In first phase, RFC4282bis will be issued to eliminate 
fundamental incompatibilities with RADIUS around character encoding and 
NAI modifications by proxies.  In second phase, a fresh review of NAI 
internationalization requirements and behavior will be undertaken with a 
clear goal of maintaining compatibility with RADIUS.

- Fragmentation of RADIUS packets to support exchanges exceeding the 
existing 4KB limit imposed by RFC 2865.

Milestones:
  Done     - Updates to RFC 2618-2621 RADIUS MIBs submitted for
publication
  Done     - SIP RADIUS authentication draft submitted as a Proposed
Standard RFC
  Done     - RFC 2486bis submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - RFC 3576 MIBs submitted as an Informational RFC
  Done     - RADIUS VLAN and Priority Attributes draft submitted as a
Proposed Standard RFC (reduced in scope)
  Done     - RADIUS Implementation Issues and Fixes draft submitted as an
Informational RFC
  Done     - RADIUS Filtering Attributes draft submitted as a Proposed
Standard RFC (split out from VLAN & Priority draft)
  Done     - RFC 3576bis submitted as an Informational RFC (split out
from Issues & Fixes draft)
  Done     - RADIUS Redirection Attributes draft submitted as a Proposed
Standard RFC (split out from VLAN & Priority draft)
  Done     - RADIUS Design Guidelines submitted as a Best Current
Practice RFC
  Done     - RADIUS Management Authorization I-D submitted as a Proposed
Standard RFC
  Done     - Reliable Transport Profile for RADIUS I-D submitted as a
Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - Status-Server I-D submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Done     - RADSEC (RADIUS over TCP/TLS) draft submitted as an
Experimental RFC
  Done     - RADIUS Crypto-agility Requirements submitted as an
Informational RFC
  Dec 2012 - IPv6 Access I-D submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Dec 2012 - RFC 4282bis submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Dec 2012 - Extended Attributes I-D submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Dec 2012 - Dynamic Discovery I-D submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Dec 2012 - IEEE 802 Attributes I-D submitted as a Proposed Standard RFC
  Jan 2013 - RADIUS over DTLS I-D submitted as an Experimental RFC
  Feb 2013 - RADIUS packet fragmentation submitted as an Experimental RFC