Subject: [radext] #144: Definition of NAI

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 21:41:34 -0000

#144: Definition of NAI

 Since RFC 4282 was published, RADIUS has been extended to use in
 authentication and authorization of application layer protocols, such as
 in RFC 5090 (SIP and HTTP) and ABFAB.  As a result,  the definition of NAI
 in Section 1.1 needs to be re-examined:

   Network Access Identifier

       The Network Access Identifier (NAI) is the user identity submitted
       by the client during network access authentication.  In roaming,
       the purpose of the NAI is to identify the user as well as to
       assist in the routing of the authentication request.  Please note
       that the NAI may not necessarily be the same as the user's email
       address or the user identity submitted in an application layer
       authentication.

 Questions:

 1. Should we continue to define the NAI as the user identity used by
 clients?  While the network access clients (e.g. PPP, EAP, etc.) were
 8-bit clean, protocols such as SIP, HTTP, etc. utilize escaping
 mechanisms. One potential alternative is to define the NAI as the contents
 of the RADIUS User-Name attribute.  Note that this might imply some
 obligations on the part of a RADIUS client handling an application-layer
 protocol.

 2. Should the abstract and Section 1 continue to refer solely to roaming
 and network access scenarios?

 3. Should we continue to talk about "the NAI" as though there were a
 unique encoding for every protocol which might carry an NAI?  Or should we
 be thinking about distinctions between "NAI-aware" applications such as
 PPP, RADIUS and EAP (which will obey the ABNF described in this document)
 and "NAI-unaware" applications (which may encode the NAI differently)?

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  critical                 |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  RFC4282bis               |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Candidate WG Document    |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/144>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>