Subject: [radext] #145: Allowable code points

From: "radext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2012 22:25:41 -0000

#145: Allowable code points

 As noted in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-dns-zone-codepoint-pples,
 registration of U-labels using the entire range of Unicode code points
 probably should not be permitted:

 Abstract

    IDNA makes available to DNS zone administrators a very wide range of
    Unicode code points.  Most operators of zones should probably not
    permit registration of U-labels using the entire range.  This is
    especially true of zones that accept registrations across
    organizational boundaries, such as top-level domains and, most
    importantly, the root.  It is unfortunately not possible to generate
    algorithms to determine whether permitting a code point presents a
    low risk.  This memo presents a set of principles that can be used to
    guide the decision of whether a Unicode code point may be wisely
    included in the repertoire of permissible code points in a U-label in
    a zone.

 RFC 4282bis should probably contain a reference to this document, making
 it clear that just because a realm name is permitted by the ABNF does not
 mean it can be registered as an FQDN (as required by the IANA
 considerations section).

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:
  [email-masked]          |  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                   |     Status:  new
 Priority:  major                    |  Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  RFC4282bis               |    Version:  1.0
 Severity:  Candidate WG Document    |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/radext/trac/ticket/145>
radext <http://tools.ietf.org/radext/>