Subject: (radius) Servers

From: Nayani Srikanth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:50:45 +0500

Sir/Madam,
    I have a question: 

     Will the radius servers talk to each other and update their 
     databases ? This I feel will be required when on one instance 
     for a user the accounting is done by one radius server and at
     another for the same user the accounting may be done by another 
     radius server. Thus the users utilisation time has to be a
     cumilative one.

Thanks in advance,
Srikanth.

***********************************************************
 Bridging the hiatus intervening hardware and software 
 SRIKANTH NAYANI,           VOICE: 91 - 40 - 774 2606
 RENDEZVOUS ON CHIP,        EMAIL: [email-masked]
 1st Floor, PLOT#14,
 KARKHANA, SECUNDERABAD-9.
***********************************************************

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Aydin Edguer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:36:06 -0500 (EST)

> Will the radius servers talk to each other and update their databases ?

This is an implementation issue, not a protocol issue.  This is not
covered by the RADIUS standard and there is no stadard behavior among
the existing RADIUS servers.

> This I feel will be required when on one instance for a user the
> accounting is done by one radius server and at another for the
> same user the accounting may be done by another radius server.
> Thus the users utilisation time has to be a cumilative one.

The assumption made by many servers is that all accounting records will
be postprocessed, rather than processed in real-time.  This means that
the records from more than one server can be gathered together into
a single accounting file and the fact that different RADIUS servers
were used by a single provider is obscured.

Other RADIUS servers use a RDBMS backend and depend upon the replication
capabilities of the underlying database to keep the records for multiple 
servers in sync.
-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.