Subject: (radius) Mutual Authentication

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:51:30 -0800

Has anybody heard of the term "Mutual Authentication"?  I'd appreciate it
if you could point me to some info.

Here is the definition as it was given to me

"Mutual authentication is the process of providing
principals (users or services) with tickets that they can use to identify
themselves to other principals and secret cryptographic keys for secure
communication with other principals. A ticket is a sequence of a few
hundred
bytes. This ticket can then be embedded in virtually any other network
protocol. This allows the processes implementing that protocol to be sure
of
the identity of the principals involved."

Thanks, Clark

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Nelson, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:04:18 -0500

Clark Rudder writes...

> the identity of the principals involved."
This sound like a description of Kerberos tickets.  Many applications can
and have been "Kerberized" to require and exchange Kerberos tickets.
Kerberos is a distributed authentication system that supports mutual
authentication.

There are probably other authentication services to which the text you
provide
could also apply.  It's fairly general.

Regards,

Dave 

David B. Nelson                          Cabletron Systems, Inc.
Software Engineer V                      50 Minuteman Road
(978) 684-1330                           Andover, MA 01810

-