Subject: (radius) Octet - Packet

From: Nayani Srikanth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 11:12:57 +0500

Sir/Madam,
        In the RADIUS accounting RFC 2139 of the attributes mentioned there
are two attributes Acct-Input-Octets and Acct-Input-Packets . How do they
differ? and how do we descide on the number of Packets?

Regards,
Srikanth.

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: Bill Webb <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 09:27:17 -0800

> differ? and how do we descide on the number of Packets?

Octets are the number of bytes (characters) while packets are the number of
actual packets.  Typically the number of octets is 10-100 times the number of
packets.

Typically router code will increment packet and octet counters at some
appropriate point in the code.

The number of packets is pretty well defined (though there may be questions
here as well for packets that exceed the path MTU), but I don't think the RFC
defines any interpretation of the Input-Octet counter (e.g. is this pre or
post-compression?) so it may vary between NAS's. The NAS vendor's documentation
should state what they define the attribute to mean.

--
Bill Webb.
Email: [email-masked] WWW: http://www.frigate.com/~webb
-- above opinions are my own, not anyone else's.

-