Subject: (radius) draft-ietf-radius-auth-clientmib-05

From: "Heath Partington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:17:07 -0400

Just a small nit-pick as I am attempting to implement some form of this
mib -

	radiusAuthClientPendingRequests OBJECT-TYPE
      SYNTAX Gauge32
      MAX-ACCESS read-only
      STATUS current
      DESCRIPTION
            "The number of RADIUS Access-Request packets
             destined for this server that have not yet timed out
             or received a response. This variable is incremented
             when an Access-Request is sent and decremented due to
             receipt of an Acess-Accept, Access-Reject or Access-Challenge,
             a timeout or retransmission."
      ::= { radiusAuthServerEntry 12 }

Do we really want to decrement this counter when there is a retransmission
to the same server?  For this case we still are awaiting the return of the
retransmitted packet.

Thanks.

Heath

_____________________
Heath Partington
Spring Tide Networks
(978) 635 - 3739 x121

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Glen Zorn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:48:42 -0700

> to the same server?  For this case we still are awaiting the return of the

I think that what would happen in the case of a retransmission to the same
server is that you would increment it (because of the new Access-Request)
_and_ decrement it (due to the retransmission), i.e., just leave it alone.
Does that sound reasonable?

-

---

From: "Heath Partington" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 18:06:56 -0400

>     Does that sound reasonable?

Yes this sounds perfectly reasonable as long as the document is updated -
there are many fine points in this area that might cause differences in
implementations if the descriptions are not clear.

I was starting to think that this variable may only count initial
authentication requests much like the radiusAuthClientAccessRequests
variable which does not include retransmissions.  The difference between a
retransmission and a transmission to a different server for the same request
may also be a difficult idea to catch if you were not reading carefully.

Thanks.

Heath

-