Subject: (radius) NAS-Port-Id and Framed-Pool

From: Carl Rigney <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 02:26:59 -0700 (PDT)

Since there were several members who liked the idea and no one who
seemed to think it was a bad idea, I've added NAS-Port-Id (87) and
Framed-Pool (88) to the extensions draft (coming soon!).

I renamed Framed-IP-Pool to Framed-Pool since there's no reason it
couldn't be used to implement IPX pools or Appletalk Pools or whatever
else.  (Yes, you may shudder at the thought, if you wish to.)

Here's the current text I'm using, suggestions for improvement are
gladly accepted.  Possibly I need some clarification to make sure
people understand the intent to Framed-Pool is like Framed-Pool =
"foonet" and not Framed-Pool = "192.168.7.0/27"; its a reference to
something that already exists on the NAS.  Casual thought should make
that seem obvious, since different NASes have to use different pools or
routing would go insane, but it never hurts to make something clearer.

If you don't have time to suggest something now, you can do so during
the two week working group last call for the extensions document,
coming soon.

5.17.  NAS-Port-Id

   Description

      This Attribute contains a string with identifies the port of the
      NAS which is authenticating the user.  It is only used in Access-
      Request packets.  Note that this is using "port" in its sense of a
      physical connection on the NAS, not in the sense of a TCP or UDP
      port number.

      Either NAS-Port or NAS-Port-Id SHOULD be present in an Access-
      Request packet, if the NAS differentiates among its ports.  NAS-
      Port-Id is intended for use by NASes which cannot conveniently
      number their ports.

   A summary of the NAS-Port-Id Attribute format is shown below.  The
   fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |    Length     |     String...
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      87 for NAS-Port-Id.

   Length

      >= 3

   String

      The String field contains the name of the port in UTF-8 [6]
      format.

5.18.  Framed-Pool

   Description

      This Attribute contains the name of an assigned address pool that
      SHOULD be used to assign an address for the user.  If a NAS does
      not support multiple address pools, the NAS should ignore this
      Attribute.  Address pools are usually used for IP addresses, but
      can be used for other protocols if the NAS supports pools for
      those protocols.

   A summary of the Framed-Pool Attribute format is shown below.  The
   fields are transmitted from left to right.

    0                   1                   2
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |     Type      |    Length     |     String...
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

   Type

      88 for Framed-Pool

   Length

      >= 3

   String

      The string field contains the name of an assigned address pool
      configured on the NAS.

5.19.  Table of Attributes

Request Accept  Reject  Challenge       #       Attribute
0-1     0       0       0       87      NAS-Port-Id
0       0-1     0       0       88      Framed-Pool

-
To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
'unsubscribe ietf-radius' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Steven P. Crain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 11:30:22 -0400 (EDT)

>       This Attribute contains a string with identifies the port of the
                                         ^ which

>       can be used for other protocols if the NAS supports pools for

We need to more clearly define the behavior if named pools are supported
on the NAS, but this particular pool has not been configured.  We also
need to specify what should happen if the specified pool is exhausted.

I recommend something like, "If the particular pool requested is not
configured on the NAS, the NAS SHOULD ignore this Attribute.  If the
particular pool does not have available addresses, the NAS SHOULD by
default reject the call, but may be configured to take some other action,
such as taking an address from a backup pool."

-- 
Steven P. Crain, Development
http://www.shore.net/~scrain
Shore.Net: Local Ties... World Class Connections

-