Subject: RE: [RAM] moving a discussion from various I* lists to [email-masked]

From: "Fergie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 03:10:36 GMT

- -- "Schliesser, Benson" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> In other words, it would be nice to hear from the router what they
>> are doing to meet the obvious future needs here.

>I'll posit that the router vendors see competitive advantage in
>capitalizing a solution to this problem and aren't inclined to share
>openly.
>(Though perhaps I am too cynical?)

No, I don't think you are, but I'm generally willing to give
them the benefit of the doubt in a public forum. :-)

>Generally speaking, this is the sort of problem that's already been
>solved in other domains. So, I'd expect to see some reasonable
>innovation in the router space. That doesn't make me any less nervous,
>though, especially nervous about the deployability/economics...
>

I'm personally 'nervous' over the silence on the matter from the
people that we all buy hardware from.

It doesn't fill one with an abundance of confidence, especially
given that we're in the process of discussing architectural models
without the gratis/assurances of fundamental forwarding capacity
functions.

This should disturb us all. Greatly.

To be frank: We are moving ahead with trepidity on a 'next-
generation' architecture without some basic assurances, and
from the data that has already been presented, the scaling v.
time-to-availability issues for ASIC support just doesn't match up.

- - ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 Engineering Architecture for the Internet
 fergdawg(at)netzero.net
 ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:54:47 -0800

BTW, this from the agenda announcement for the upcoming
	NANOG (this in the BOFs section):
    
	  Pushing the FIB limits, perspectives on pressures
	  confronting modern routers. - Joel Jaeggli  

	-dmm