Subject: Re: [RAM] Re: [arch-d] Major practical decision

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 06:40:10 -0500 (EST)

> From: [email-masked]

    >> the approaches that Noel has called "jack-up".

    > I don't know what "jack-up" means. Can you point me to any resource on
    > this?.

It's a term I starting using over on the Architecture-Discuss list to
describe a class of evolutionary schemes for the Internet in which:

- A new internetwork layer is inserted beneath the existing IPv4/IPv6
(commonly referred to as "IPvN") layers.

- The existing IPvN "addresses" become names which basically just identify
communicating entities, and do not say where in the network they are.

Examples of "jack-up" in other systems (in which the semantics of existing
names are changed, but the syntax is retained for benefit of the
applications) include the way in which portable numbers are provided in the
telephone system.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:22:11 +0100

Noel,

Thank you for your explanation. I have some comments below.

> applications) include the way in which portable numbers are provided in
the

Then I think my proposal on "Tunneled Interdomain Routing" (TIDR)
is a not a "jack-up" mechanism for two reasons:

1. There is no NEW internetwork layer beneath the existing IPvN layer.
In TIDR we use tunnels, and most of the value-added services are
based on tunnels (mobility, VPNs, TE,...). I think there is a need
for a richer routing paradigm, and in my opinion the solution is
something like TIDR. I think we need the come of age of tunnels
within the IP architecture.

2. In TIDR the existing IPvN addresses don't become names wich
basically just identify communicating entities. They are just
identifiers for INTER-domain routing, BUT once the tunneled
packet is detunneled the identifier (i.e. the inner IP address)
reappears with the role of locator again. This is what I have
called the "Relativity of Identifiers and Locators" in my draft.

A normal IP address will become identifier or locator depending on
the way we will use it: it will become just a mere identifier
wrt inter-domain routing as long as there exists a locator to
which we can tunnel its traffic. And similarly, a normal IP
address will become a locator whenever it is used as a tunnel
destination. Then, the role of an IP address as an identifier or
as a locator is relative to the use we decide to do with it.

Regards,
Juanjo