Subject: [RAM] Re: Routing & Addressing -- activities (BOF)

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 02:51:18 -0500

As part of the routing and addressing activities, a BOF is planned
during IETF 68, as a plenary activity (day and time to be
announced later). This will be tracked in the BOF wiki at 
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki

Details so far:

   * ROAP
          o ROuting and Addressing Problem BOF
          o Joint with Internet Area; will be a plenary session
          o Status: preliminary discussions
          o Background: RAWS report
          o Responsible ADs: Ross Callon, Mark Townsley 

Ross and Mark will be collecting proposals for the goals
and content of the BOF.

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: Brian Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 02:51:18 -0500

Details so far:

   * ROAP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:37:32 EST

The first goal is accomplished:The discussion has finally moved to the  
RAM-list.
There are still some skirmish battles in hope of better hardware and  as to 
keep on going with  current internet-1.
 
However with a hierarchical model (instead of flat BGP and respective  
orthogonal OSPF) not only whatever growth rate of the internet may be complied  with 
but also qualitative improvements may come along: multipath routing,  
multi-topology, multipath routing combined with multi-topology, yes  inter-domain. 
Enhanced routing capabilities which makes the current loop-control  by primitive 
TTL obsolete.Enhanced traffic engineering! Even graceful  restart mechanism 
may benefit! And of course, the  routing churn will be  well restricted (why 
should I care in Europe when a router tips over in  Japan).
 
I like the idea of Rekhter's Law"): "Addressing can follow topology or  
topology can follow addressing. Choose one." Yes indeed:You can point to  some 
shopping mall at some specific road junction and add, just like attributes,  which 
stores of which companies (ISPs!) you may find there. As well, you may  point 
to individual stores and add, just like an attribute, that it is located  at 
said road junction's shopping mall. Yes both will work, just choose which  
information shall become the the primary naming and which the secondary  
attribute. But nevertheless make the better choice: Finding a destination is not  the 
only goal. Filtering may be another valuable capability. It is is not  about 
right or wrong, but which way to go is more or less  advantageous. 
 
Heiner 
 
In einer eMail vom 21.12.2006 15:40:49 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

Details so  far:

* ROAP