Subject: Re: one size doesn' fit all (was Re: other requirement? (was Re: [RAM] Traffic Engineering

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:33:55 -0500 (EST)

> From: Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]>

    >> if you're against all solutions of the form "multiple routing-
    >> names", what's left, other than "let the routing do it"?

    > My preference is in fact to 'let the routing do it'

But earlier you said:

    >> Oh, you mean like forcing every router in the entire default-free
    >> zone to carry an advertisement for site X's PI-address?

    > This is a problem, we all acknowledge that.  

So then you must not think it's really a problem?

    > My hope is that a more practical solution lies somewhere between
    > these two extremes.

Ah. Could you please sketch out for us the technical details of such a
solution?

	Noel

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 08:51:36 -0800

> Ah. Could you please sketch out for us the technical details of such a

Such solutions don't simply spring forth ex nihilo, as did Athena  
from Zeus' forehead.  However, the fact that I personally haven't yet  
come up with a solution to a problem which has for quite some time  
been vexing a large number of people who're a lot smarter than I am  
doesn't invalidate the widely-shared view within the operational  
community that SHIM6 as currently constituted will not work for most  
organizations and in fact has many undesirable properties which  
outweigh its potential benefits in the vast majority of situations.

The point is that *any solution which mandates multiple endpoint IP  
addresses in multihoming situations is a nonstarter*, and that it  
would be helpful if all the smart folks who're looking at this  
problem-set would stop wasting their considerable intellectual  
energies tilting at this windmill and instead start thinking about  
Something More Practical.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Roland Dobbins <[email-masked]> // 408.527.6376 voice

		All battles are perpetual.

     		   -- Milton Friedman

---

From: Tony Li <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:51:51 -0800

> Something More Practical.

Hmmm...  well, that's problematic.  You see, the root of this entire  
discussion is the observation that the current situation, in which  
every multi-homed site gets a single PI prefix, is also a non-starter  
from a scalability perspective.  Now, if endpoints don't have single  
addresses, and they don't have multiple addresses, the only logical  
alternative is that they don't have ANY address.  That implies that  
we simply turn off the Internet, and that's not Practical.

Tony