Subject: Re: [RAM] Re: [arch-d] mailing lists and follow-ons to the IAB Routing & Addr...

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 16:05:35 EST

Noel wrote:
IMNSHO, it's really unacceptable to work on this problem  and not give a key
role to consideration of how the routing is going to work.  And to make sure
the routing is going to work, we have to dive into the muck  and tackle the
routing technical issues in some detail, to make sure it all  really works. So
we have to drive pretty quickly to considering the technical  details of how
the routing is going to work, I think. And that's something  the people who
seem to have energy available to discuss things have been  fairly loathe to 
do,
despite some not-so-subtle prods from me.

I totally agree. How can addressing be discussed without envisioning  a  
routing scheme that fits for the future ?!! 
Maybe in preparation for such a  discussion we should discuss how  bad 
current IETF-routing is. I am sure other technologies (robotics, navigation  
systems,..) have surpassed internet routing by far. The IETF is still dependent  on 
such a primitive TTL-mechanism which hasn't been improved substantially   by 
getting a new name in IPv6. 
With RPF-checks you can not defeat the DoS attacks, but you  can prevent 
multipath 
routing and realtime traffic control.  With BGP...(stop, I might be  told 
without BGP this email wouldn't make its way out). 
 
Heiner

 

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram