Subject: [RAM] add services to list of requirements

From: "Gregory M. Lebovitz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 03:55:21 -0700

Sitting in the Int Area listening, something hit me:

Stated already:
  - need ID's for endpoints, as in:
       - users (on laptop, shared machine, etc.)
       - machines (specific desktop machine, server, printer, 
scanner, camera, etc.)

I didn't hear stated yet:
  - need ID for SERVICES, as in:
         - smtp services (load balanced, globally, redundant)
         - some home grown web services which actually uses MANY 
different protocols to many other different service/locator pairings
         - a web site

Hope it helps,
lebo

Gregory Lebovitz
Juniper Networks

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: Pekka Nikander <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 07:01:05 +0100

> different protocols to many other different service/locator pairings

I mentioned this passingly, under the bullet "delegable application  
level names".

With suitable carved identifiers, it is indeed possible to use the  
same identifier space for abstract services, service instances,  
virtual hosts hosting those service instances, and physical hosts  
hosting those virtual hosts, at least.  The key here is delegability;  
consider Dave Thaler's trust chains.  You just add boxes the the  
left, before the identifier, and then you have to add suitable  
security to make each delegation/indirection step secure.  With self- 
authenticating identifiers that is easy.

One of our students considered implementing this with HIP, but I  
don't remember if he ever did it.  In any case, it is not too hard to  
add to HIP, due to the self-authenticating identifiers.  For the same  
reason, it probably could also be added to some variant of SHIM6, at  
least if CGAs are used.

--Pekka Nikander