Subject: [RAM] add "services" to list of requirements?

From: lebobits <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:29:42 -0700

Sitting in the Int Area listening, something hit me:

Stated already:
  - need ID's for endpoints, as in:
       - users (on laptop, shared machine, etc.)
       - machines (specific desktop machine, server, printer, 
scanner, camera, etc.)

I didn't hear stated yet:
  - need ID for SERVICES, as in:
         - smtp services (load balanced, globally, redundant clusters)
         - some home grown web services which actually uses MANY 
different protocols to many other different service/locator pairings
         - a web site (load balanced, globally, redundant clusters)

Hope it helps,
Gregory

Gregory Lebovitz
Juniper Networks

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:51:04 -0400

On 03/22/2007 08:29 AM, lebobits wrote:
>       - machines (specific desktop machine, server, printer, scanner,
> camera, etc.)
> 

Yes, all true.  There are many "endpoint" identifiers at many levels.
 Ultimately they all resolve to (one or more) IP-level routing
locators.  Some of those identifiers might even act as routing
locators in higher layers and different scopes.  But all that has
always been true.  What we need in addition to those service-level
identifiers is a way to identify an Internet-level endpoint that is
decoupled from its routing locator.  We need that because
service-level identifiers don't resolve down to the Internet layer,
where we want to have control.  If I want to connect to a SIP AOR
which has multiple presences, I need to be able to identify which of
the possible Internet endpoints I want to connect to.

swb

---

From: "lebo bits" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:27:15 -0700

> the possible Internet endpoints I want to connect to.

perhaps then we need some middle-glue which can take the service-level (in
your words) identifier and bind it to a specific protocol identifier, then
bind that to the appropriate "Internet-level" endpoint(s). ??

Gregory

swb

-- 
----
IETF related email from
Gregory M. Lebovitz
Juniper Networks