Subject: [RAM] Early version of Ivip I-D

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 05:47:30 +1000

Here is a draft version of the forthcoming Ivip I-D:

http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/temp/draft-whittle-ivip-arch-00-draft.txt
http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/temp/draft-whittle-ivip-arch-00-draft.html

There are about 62 pages of text and diagrams.  If anyone is keen
enough to read some of this before the weekend and suggest any
improvements, point out any blunders etc. I would really
appreciate it.  I plan to finalise version 00 on Sunday.

The operation of Ivip ETRs is simple - they decapsulate.

ITRs tunnel to a given address, for every Ivip-mapped destination
address.  That's it - there's no ITR to ETR communication, no
information in the IP-in-IP header, multiple ETR addresses, no
explicit mechanisms for TE or trying to determine reachability.

There are two reasons why this I-D is relatively long.

Firstly I cover an ambitious system by which end-user changes are
intended to reach all the ITRs very quickly - in a few seconds
ideally, but perhaps faster.

Secondly, my explanation is pretty hands-on, with discussion and
diagrams.  I hope that RAM list members will be able to read it
from one end to the other and understand it pretty well without
much frustration or head scratching.

 - Robin      http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram