Subject: [RAM] Six/One: A (Different) Solution for Routing and Addressing in IPv6

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:12:30 +0300

Folks,

the main existing routing and addressing proposals are based on an
indirection between the addressing spaces of edge and transit domains.
The strength of indirection is that it contains the size and the update
frequency of the global routing table.  This can happen transparently to
hosts and edge networks, enabling new traffic engineering practices and
reduced rehoming costs for edge networks.

The drawback of indirection is that it requires a distribution of
address translation information across the Internet.  Little analytical
insight is currently available on how this be done in fast, scalable,
and secure manner.  And where indirection requires support of both sides
of a communication, no smooth transition path exists either.

  http://users.piuha.net/chvogt/pub/2007/draft-vogt-rrg-six-one-00.txt

The routing and addressing solution proposed at the foregoing link,
Six/One, avoids the problems of indirection.

- It uses a single addressing space of IPv6 addresses, and hence

- works without a distribution of address translation information.

- Hosts can suggest a packet be routed via a preferred provider, yet

- edge networks can overwrite this suggestion according to traffic
  engineering policies.

- Hosts adapt to the provider selection of an edge network in that
  subsequent packets include the right addresses directly.

- This adaption happens within 1 RTT w/o packet loss or delay.

- Edge network reconfiguration during rehoming is small if access
  network operators obey recommended operational practices.

- A smooth transition path exists, driven by incentives for early
  adopters.

- Deployment will foster global protection against IP spoofing.

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Regards,
- Christian

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram