Subject: [RAM] iPlane stats on number of BGP routers etc.

From: Robin Whittle <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 18:12:06 +1000

I found out about the iPlane project from the paper "Locator/ID
Separation: Study on the cost of Mappings Caching and Mappings
Lookups":

 http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications/locator-id-separation-study-cost-mappings-caching-and-mappings-lookups

recently mentioned by Luigi Iannone.

   http://iplane.cs.washington.edu

This has some interesting bodies of data:

   http://iplane.cs.washington.edu/data.html   (Data)
   http://iplane.cs.washington.edu/osdi06.pdf  (Description)

including:

  Lists of alias clusters        62,698 lines

  "We provide all sets of alias sets that we have discovered. Each
   line in this file contains a space-separated list of interfaces
   that correspond to a single router."

  Origin AS mapping             223,338 lines

   This is the "global BGP routing table".

   I thnik this is what is referred to on page 8 of "Locator/ID
   Separation: Study on the cost of Mappings Caching and Mappings
   Lookups" as "/BGP" and "prefix blocks assigned by RIRs".  In
   fact it is the prefixes advertised as Autonomous Systems choose
   to split them up, not as assigned by the RIRs.

  Internet Atlas                551,589 lines

   "Each line in the file contains one distinct inter-PoP link."

I think this means they have found 62,698 BGP routers.  Does
anyone want to hazard a guess about the cost of the multihomed
ones in this set.  I guess most are multihomed border routers or
transit routers, so most are in the DFZ and have to cope with the
growth in the global BPG routing table.

 - Robin

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram