Subject: Re: [RAM] Number of DFZ routers

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:46:35 -0400 (EDT)

> From: [email-masked]

    > BGP needs to be replaced, not repaired.

So far, so good! :-)

    > A 200 k FIB should be proof enough that this is the wrong way to go.
    > 2k should be sufficient for a 100 times bigger internet. 

Huh? The size of the FIB is caused by the way IPv4 addresses are assigned,
and has nothing to do with the algorithm/protocol by which paths are
computed.

	Noel

_______________________________________________
RAM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ram

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:28:59 EDT

In einer eMail vom 07.07.2007 17:14:02 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt  
[email-masked]:

I would  therefor recommend not to cross the option to repair  BGP.

You are absolutely right. And it should be done by the idr WG.
Including LISP etc.
 
I also agree that it is not too early to start developing something  new.
 
Heiner

---

From: [email-masked] (Noel Chiappa)
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

>> The size of the FIB is caused by the way IPv4 addresses are assigned,

    > Sorry, I was too sloppy. 2k, mayby 1k of addresses are even sufficient.

Sure, if we can reassign all IPv4 addresses from scratch, for every network
in the entire world. Lots of luck getting everyone to agree to do that.

And then, of course, you have to keep them perfectly assigned with the
connection topology - i.e. almost no PI addresses at all, for anything
smaller than, say one of the 500 largest organizations in the world. So we're
talking maybe the US gets 100 PI addresses, Europe as a whole 150, Japan 75,
the entire rest of the world gets 75, and that leaves us 50 spare.

Note that means all mid-level ISP's don't get their own address space, they
have to get it from one of their upstream ISP's - and if they change
upstreams, all their customers have to change their addresses.

I don't think so.

	Noel