Subject: SPPI data type assignments

From: "David T. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 14:54:04 -0800

HI,

I noticed that there are some conflicts with the data type definitions
in the SPPI I-D. The following assignment in the SPPI document:
  Integer64 ::= [APPLICATION 7]
          IMPLICIT INTEGER (-9223372036854775808..9223372036854775807) 
conflicts with the following assignment from RFC 1442:
  UInteger32 ::= [APPLICATION 7]
          IMPLICIT INTEGER (0..4294967295)

The following assignment from the SPPI document:
   Unsigned64 [APPLICATION 8] IMPLICIT INTEGER (0..18446744073709551615) 
conflicts with the following assignment found in internet-draft
draft-perkins-float-00.txt:
   FloatType ::= [APPLICATION 8] IMPLICIT OCTET STRING (SIZE(4))

Also in internet-draft draft-perkins-bigint-00.txt there are the
following definitions for signed and unsigned 64-bit integers:
   -- A signed integer of up to 64 bits of precision.
   I64Type ::= [APPLICATION 10] IMPLICIT
                   INTEGER (-9223372036854775808..9223372036854775807)

   -- An unsigned integer of up to 64 bit of precision.
   U64Type ::= [APPLICATION 11] IMPLICIT
                    INTEGER (0.. 18446744073709551615)

Note that the above assignments from the perkins I-Ds are in use
in the net-snmp distribution (previously called the UC-DAVIS SNMP
distribution). (See http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/)

Thus, I believe that the SPPI should be updated to use
"[APPLICATION 10]" and "[APPLICATION 11]" instead of
"[APPLICATION 7]" and "[APPLICATION 8]". 

Regards,
/david t. perkins

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 17:46:14 +0100

>>>>> David T Perkins writes:

David> I noticed that there are some conflicts with the data type
David> definitions in the SPPI I-D.

[...]

David> Thus, I believe that the SPPI should be updated to use
David> "[APPLICATION 10]" and "[APPLICATION 11]" instead of
David> "[APPLICATION 7]" and "[APPLICATION 8]".

Makes sense to me to use [APPLICATION 10] for Integer64 and
[APPLICATION 11] for Unsigned64. (And I realize that this comment also
applies for the equivalent definitions in the SMIng to SNMP mapping.)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder      Technical University Braunschweig
<[email-masked]>  Dept. Operating Systems & Computer Networks
Phone: +49 531 391 3289    Bueltenweg 74/75, 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Fax:   +49 531 391 5936    <URL:http://www.ibr.cs.tu-bs.de/~schoenw/>