Subject: About Path-Resv vs reciever-sender

From: "Bouarich, Reda" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:08:22 +0200

Hi everybody,
Just a quick question to make things clear in my mind. Between a source and
a client communication,  the source (sender) send a Path message to the
client (reciever) after a PDP acceptance then the reciever  responds with a
Resv command.
I did not understand how the sender know that the reciever has requested a
communication the first time since that sender is the first actor of the
communication. I understand that the sender has to send Path message all the
time to overcome the time out mechanism, but the first time, the reciever
needs to contact the source to request something, no?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Reda.

---

From: Sanjeev Chakravarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:47:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Reda,

RSVP uses source based routing and yeah the drawback is that each router
needs to maintain a soft-state for the flow. So periodically the
sender(source) sends Path messages to to refresh the state and the
receiver(destination) correspondingly sends the RESV messages. The sender
may decide to adopt a different route becoz of congestion or other reasons
and on receiving the Path message the reciever has to traverse exactly the
same path that the Path message took but in the reverse direction.

Sanjeev Chakravarty
Corona Networks