Subject: Policy control for RSVP

From: Kaustubh Phanse <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

Just wanted to clarify my understanding of the policy
control/processing of PATH and RESV messages.

	To successfully implement policy-based admission control, during
the initiation of an RSVP reservation, is it really "necessary" to enforce
policy control on both PATH and RESV messages? I understand that policy
elements in PATH message can be used to authenticate users/applications
and the corresponding Tspec. But this may be achieved even by
policy control of the RESV message. So, even if PEP on the sender side
does not perform any policy-based admission control on an "invalid" PATH
message and lets it flow to the receiver, the PEP on the receiver-side
should be able to "reject" the resulting "invalid" RESV message...right?
And hence such a policy framework should still work? Is there a scenario
where this is NOT the case and policy control on both PATH and RESV
message is "critical" for successful enforcement of PAC.

Please forgive my ignorance on this topic! :) Any comments/clarifications
are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance.
sincerely,
Kaustubh 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Kaustubh S. Phanse					  [email-masked]
 PhD student				       http://www.ee.vt.edu/~kphanse
 Alexandria Research Institute
 Electrical & Computer Engineering Department		               
 Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------