Subject: Type definision issue in rfc2578

From: Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:17:23 +0530

[ post by non-subscriber.  with the massive amount of spam, it is easy to
  miss and therefore delete mis-posts.  so fix subscription addresses! ]

Hi, Can someone help in the following issue..

I have some doubt in the types defined in the RFC2578, and its usage in
RFC3159.

In RFC2578 the type defintion for ExtUTCTime is said not to be imported by
any MIB definition,
but the RFC3159 is using the MIB definition convention to define the frame
work for PIB defintions, and it is importing the ExtUTCTime, as per the
RFC2578 which not to be allowed.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:34:25 +0200

>>>>> Wilson  writes:

Wilson> I have some doubt in the types defined in the RFC2578, and its
Wilson> usage in RFC3159.

Wilson> In RFC2578 the type defintion for ExtUTCTime is said not to be
Wilson> imported by any MIB definition, but the RFC3159 is using the
Wilson> MIB definition convention to define the frame work for PIB
Wilson> defintions, and it is importing the ExtUTCTime, as per the
Wilson> RFC2578 which not to be allowed.

The COPS-PR-SPPI module contained in RFC 3159 is an ASN.1 module which
imports ExtUTCTime in order to define SPPI - but COPS-PR-SPPI is
certainly not a MIB module written to conform to the SMIv2 language as
defined in RFC 2578. So I do not really see a problem here.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>

---

From: Keith McCloghrie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 09:33:49 -0700 (PDT)

> RFC2578 which not to be allowed.

Let me explain:

1. ExtUTCTime is defined as part of SMIv2.
2. The SPPI imports ExtUTCTime because the SPPI is an enhanced subset of SMIv2.
3. The module within RFC 3159 which imports ExtUTCTime is the SPPI, which
   begins:

     COPS-PR-SPPI DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

     IMPORTS    ObjectName, SimpleSyntax, ExtUTCTime, mgmt
                                                FROM SNMPv2-SMI;

4. The SPPI is the rules for writing PIBs, but the SPPI is *not* itself a PIB.
5. RFC 3159 does not contain a MIB.
6. The PIB module within RFC 3159 begins:

     COPS-PR-SPPI-TC   PIB-DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

     IMPORTS    Unsigned32, MODULE-IDENTITY, TEXTUAL-CONVENTION, pib
                                              FROM COPS-PR-SPPI;

Notice that this is a PIB because it has the "PIB-DEFINITIONS" keyword, but
does not IMPORT ExtUTCTime.

So, RFC 3159 does not violate the rules relating to ExtUTCTime as specified
in RFC 2578.

Keith.