Subject: FW: Protocol Action: Session Authorization for RSVP to Proposed S tandard

From: "Wijnen, Bert (Bert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:37:29 +0100

Thanks to the WG, but specifically to Louis-Nicolas Hamer
who was so patient to deal with all the security concerns
from the IESG.

Bert 

-----Original Message-----
From: The IESG [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: woensdag 30 oktober 2002 19:23
Cc: RFC Editor; Internet Architecture Board; [email-masked]
Subject: Protocol Action: Session Authorization for RSVP to Proposed
Standard

The IESG has approved publication of the following Internet-Drafts:

 o Session Authorization for RSVP
   <draft-ietf-rap-rsvp-authsession-04.txt> as a Proposed Standard.

 o Framework for session set-up with media authorization
 <draft-ietf-rap-session-auth-04.txt> as an Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Resource Allocation Protocol
Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Bert Wijnen and Randy
Bush.

Technical Summary
 
    The "Session Authorization for RSVP" document describes the
    representation of session authorization information in the
    POLICY_DATA object [POL-EXT] for supporting policy-based
    per-session authorization and admission control in RSVP.
    The goal of session authorization is to allow the exchange of
    information between network elements in order to authorize the
    use of resources for a service and to co-ordinate actions between
    the signaling and transport planes. This document describes how a
    process on a system authorizes the reservation of resources by a
    host and then provides that host with a session authorization
    policy element which can be inserted into the RSVP PATH message to
    facilitate proper and secure reservation of those resources within
    the network. It describes the encoding of media authorization
    information as RSVP policy elements and provides details relating 
    to operations, processing rules and error scenarios.
   
    The "framework" document describes a framework within which the
    above session authorization information can be exchanged and used.

Working Group Summary
   
    The working group has consensus on these documents.
   
Protocol Quality
 
    These documents have been reviewed for the IESG by Bert Wijnen.