Subject: Re: [Recentattendees] R: R: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity

From: joel jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2015 11:38:53 -0700

On 8/16/15 10:39 AM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
> 
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015, Daniele Ceccarelli wrote:
> 
>> Hi Ole,
>>
>> Are you saying that the hotel refused to allocate more than 300 
>> rooms to a meeting like the ietf? Wouldn't this be a significant 
>> parameter in the choice of the next hotels?
>>
>> BR
>> Daniele
>>
> 
> The Intercontinental is not a particularly large hotel, but it IS
> the hotel directly connected to the venue. The venue is a conference
> center, not a hotel. I think you will find the venue quite excellent,
> and access to other hotels easy.

For maximum comic relief, the  royal park in the landmark tower was
bookable over the holiday and for the entire week. it' may almost be
vertically further from the venue then it is horizontally

it's also cancalable up to the 29th of october so better deals (e.g.
queens east) appear, well then you have a backup plan.

> Ole

---

From: Ray Pelletier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:57:27 -0400

All;

Here is where things stand.

1.  "Headquarters Hotel”

Our Host, WIDE, is attempting to obtain more guest rooms in the
InterContinental Yokohama Grand.

The InterContinental Yokohama Grand has 475 standard rooms, but
would only allow us to book 300 rooms on the peak nights of Monday
and Tuesday.  They said they had to accommodate their existing
corporate and airline contracts.

Wednesday and Thursdays were contracted for fewer rooms, 289 and
250. We contracted for the rooms using the usual Bell Curve, which
typically reflects that some folks depart on Wednesday and more on
Thursday.  This was a mistake on our part.  if those rooms had been
available we should have contracted for the max we could get.

2.  Overflow Hotels

We are working with the Japanese Travel Bureau to open the JTB
reservation system for the 4 contracted Overflow Hotels.  Together
these hotels have 530 rooms on a peak night, for a total of 3,550
room nights.

One of the 4 will also have the IETF network, courtesy of WIDE.  \

The JTB current system only permits reservations from 31 October to 7
November, not before or after.  We are trying to get that fixed.  We
think that reservations may be open Tuesday, but might be Wednesday.

Our preference would have been to open the Overflow Hotels together
with the Headquarters Hotel.  We did not to provide those needing
Visas more time to process their applications.

3. Alternative Hotels

There are a number of alternative hotels near the Pacifico Yokohama
(Meeting Venue).  The IETF does not have a contract with these
hotels, nor is the IETF network available. This information is
provided as a convenience to meeting attendees. The IETF makes no
representation as to availability, prices, cancellation practices,
or Internet quality.

Map of possible alternative hotels:
	https://www.google.com/maps/search/hotels+near+InterContinental+
	Yokohama+Grand,+Yokohama,+Kanagawa+Prefecture,+Japan/%4035.
	4604397,139.6350251,14z?hl=en

You may use your favorite search engines such as:
	http://www.hotels.com/
	http://www.trivago.com/
	https://www.airbnb.com/

You should expect to see an update Tuesday.

Ray

> On Aug 17, 2015, at 1:39 PM, manning <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Perhaps a data point / leverage.
> 
> The week -AFTER- the IETF, was the Yokohama International Quilt week.  Same venue, same hotel.  It’s been scheduled for over a year now.
> Many groups/tours are SOLD OUT, in planning to attend this event, plus side trips the week before and after.   This event is larger than the IETF.
> 
> …and it was recently canceled by the organizer…
> 
> Perhaps (maybe) a number of the reserved rooms are tied to that event and they have not cleaned up after the effects of the cancelation.
> 
> 
> manning
> [email-masked]
> PO Box 6151
> Playa del Rey, CA 90296
> 310.322.8102
> 
> 
> 
> On 17August2015Monday, at 10:18, Adam Roach <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> On 8/17/15 11:48, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
>>> Speaking from personal experience, I have always found Internet access
>>> in Japanese hotels to be quite excellent even without these upgrades
>>> by our NOC team.
>> 
>> I suspect that the historically destroyed Internet connections in many of the overflow hotels -- and the Maastrict hotel for that matter -- are perfectly adequate for a normal mix of guests. I find it difficult to believe that you could accurately judge what a hotel's performance would be without a load similar to what IETF attendees typically bring with them.
>> 
>> To be clear, issues rise above those of simple bandwidth saturation. Most commonly, I've seen things that I suspect are DHCP pool exhaustion (with results ranging from issuing duplicate addresses (!) to simply being unable to get an address) and NAT port exhaustion (leading to the inability to make or maintain connections). We bring a unique set of stresses to an infrastructure that are way outside the normal envelope.
>> 
>> /a
>> 
>