Subject: [Recentattendees] Community Feedback for London Venue

From: IETF Administrative Director <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 05:13:28 -0800

On June 21st the IAOC solicited feedback on whether people perceive
any reasons we could not have a successful meeting in London.

Input was received from a community member about four concerns about
a specific venue, which is in fact the venue chosen. We wanted to be
clear that the input was considered, and here is how we addressed
the points:

 1.  Hotel rooms were in poor condition and overpriced.

  Hotel contract negotiations produced a mix of rooms with the
  majority of the rooms being in the refurbished tower and a smaller
  number of rooms, not recently refurbished, but at a reduced guest
  room rate. Attendees can make their own choice about whether they
  wish to take the reduced rate or avoid the unrefurbished rooms.

 2.  Hotel navigation was confusing.

 Better signage and a second time familiarity with the venue by some
 should improve the attendee experience.

 3.  Some of the meeting rooms were semi-functional

 Staff experience with London at IETF 89 and since should result in
 a better experience.

 4.  The neighborhood was only tolerable

 Some of the issue of the neighborhood was due to construction at
 the time of our last meeting at the venue. We expect there have
 been improvements.

The IAOC did review the feedback as part of its decision process and
determined that, while recognizably not everyone’s venue, it is a
suitable location for holding a successful IETF 101 meeting. the
IETF could have a successful meeting in the London.

Ray Pelletier
IETF Administrative Director