Subject: [Rfced-future] Consensus Check - Issue 20: Decider for hiring RSE/A

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:47:01 +0200

In yesterday's call we wordsmithed the following for Section 4.1:

> "The RSEA will be selected by a search committee formed by the 
> Executive Director of the IETF LLC, taking into account the role 
> definition [13] and any detailed job description defined by the 
> relevant parties"

Please raise any concerns by 6 Jul 2021.

Eliot

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 16:20:03 +0100

"and any detailed job description" tends to imply that if the LLC doesn't ask, they might not receive. Can the job description be forced upon them? Or s/any/the/

"defined by the relevant parties" is very tricky because who is to say which parties are relevant? Can we be more precise? (I don't much mind what we define as relevant, but I feel we should scope it.)

A
-----Original Message-----
From: Rfced-future <[email-masked]> On Behalf Of Eliot Lear
Sent: 22 June 2021 15:47
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Rfced-future] Consensus Check - Issue 20: Decider for hiring RSE/A

Eliot

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 13:00:33 -0600

Hi Adrian,

> "and any detailed job description" tends to imply that if the LLC doesn't ask, they might not receive. Can the job description be forced upon them? Or s/any/the/

I suppose "any" leaves open the possibility that the search committee
would do their work only based on the role definition and not also a
detailed job description.

However, the search committee might also take into account a much wider
array of information, as such committees often do. Although I am not an
expert on such matters, I am close to someone who is, and I'm aware that
such information could include things like:

* a competency model (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other
characteristics needed for the role or within the organization), which
in turn is typically created using a well-defined methodology

* interviews with stakeholders (in our case that might be stream
managers, LLC Executive Director, RPC leaders, etc.)

* 360˚ feedback results

* personality assessments

* etc.

I doubt we need to go into that level of detail, but here are two
alternatives...

Proposed text #1 (high level)

  The RSEA will be selected by a search committee formed by the
  Executive Director of the IETF LLC, taking into account the role
  definition [13] as well as other information that the committee
  deems necessary or helpful in making its decision.

Proposed text #2 (detailed)

  The RSEA will be selected by a search committee formed by the
  Executive Director of the IETF LLC.  To the extent possible, the
  committee will follow best practices for an executive search.  The
  committee should take into account the role definition [13] as well
  as other information that the committee deems necessary or helpful in
  making its decision, such as an organizational competency model,
  consultations with relevant stakeholders (e.g., stream managers),
  formal assessments, and structured interviews.

Peter

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:44:34 +1200

I'd go for #1. Don't micromanage by RFC text.

Regards
   Brian C

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 12:38:49 +0200

Could people please share their views?

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 05:40:22 -0700

+1

-Ekr

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 2:44 PM Brian E Carpenter <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> >> "and any detailed job description" tends to imply that if the LLC
> doesn't ask, they might not receive. Can the job description be forced upon
> them? Or s/any/the/
> >
> --
> Rfced-future mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/rfced-future
>