Subject: [Rfid] Reader Discovery

From: "Suresh Bhaskaran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:27:26 -0700

One more SLRRP question:

What are some simple easy ways (in the "Lightweight" spirit of SLRRP) to do
discovery of the reader device?

Some options/ideas that seem to have cropped up in various discussions:

1.	UDP broadcast
2.	DHCP server can give both IP address *and* server address to reader
3.	Cisco-type discovery was mentioned as a possibility - I'm not too
familiar with this.  Is there some document/link that explains this and
other options?

At this stage, I'm not thinking of any "massively" scalable method for a
large number.  Simply, if one (or a few) readers come up, what are some ways
they can get their IP addresses, and find out who their server is, and start
talking to each other?  Then the server can send a SLRRP command to get the
reader capabilities.

I noticed that there was not a whole lot about this in either the RP, or RM
or ALE documents of the EPC global either. (I did a search on the word
"discover", and didn't find any simple answers relating to the above
questions).

I know this could be a huge topic, but I just wanted some simple
ideas/pointers here.

Some documents/links discussing the overall concept would be great as well.

Suresh

_______________________________________________
Rfid mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rfid

---

From: Scott Barvick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 15:56:28 -0400

Suresh,

Krishna covered the first steps in his answer about how DHCP can be
used.  The thing we need to make sure of in SLRRP is that the operations
specified support discovery, connection, and operation in large scale
deployments.  Supporting a model where the reader learns about its RNC
through DHCP and then attempts to connect to it is the first step.  That
will take things a long way, but it obviously requires some amount of
manual configuration.  We'll pull in others from the IETF to help us
move to the next step of automated service location (readers and RNCs)
to further reduce the complexity.

Scott

On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 20:27, Suresh Bhaskaran wrote:
> One more SLRRP question:
> 
>  
> 
> What are some simple easy ways (in the “Lightweight” spirit of SLRRP)
> to do discovery of the reader device?
> 
>  
> 
>      3. Cisco-type discovery was mentioned as a possibility – I’m not
>         too familiar with this…  Is there some document/link that
>         explains this and other options?
> 
> 
>  
> 
> At this stage, I’m not thinking of any “massively” scalable method for
> a large number.  Simply, if one (or a few) readers come up, what are
> some ways they can get their IP addresses, and find out who their
> server is, and start talking to each other?  Then the server can send
> a SLRRP command to get the reader capabilities.
> 
>  
> 
> I noticed that there was not a whole lot about this in either the RP,
> or RM or ALE documents of the EPC global either. (I did a search on
> the word “discover”, and didn’t find any simple answers relating to
> the above questions).
> 
>  
> 
> ______________________________________________________________________