Subject: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-02 updated

From: "Arsalan Tavakoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 19:32:50 -0800

At the interim meeting, Phil presented
draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-01, and we interactively worked
through a set of changes, namely to the five main criteria.  The main
change was to the control cost criteria, which was changed as follows:
a protocol now failed if the control cost was unbounded by the data rate
plus a small constant.  The small constant allows a protocol to have
rare periodic maintenance beacons in the absence of data-traffic, for
example, in an event-driven workload.  The only protocol evaluation
affected was RIP, which now received a pass for control cost, but a
fail for node cost, leaving it with the same number of passing grades.
These changes were embodied in the latest revision of the draft,
draft-ietf-roll-protocols-survey-02.  One additional change in the
document is that the control
cost fail criteria has been slightly modified to: Fail if the control
cost is not bounded by O (R log( L) + e), where R is the data rate, L
is the neighborhood density, and e is a small constant.  The reasoning
for the shift to a log-based bound is that packet losses lead to
multiple transmissions (and subsequent receptions).  More detailed
analysis is provided in the draft.

As I will only touch on this draft briefly at the IETF meeting next
week, I wanted to put it out on the list so any feedback could be
addressed, so comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Arsalan
_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Philip Levis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:29:30 -0800

On Nov 12, 2008, at 7:32 PM, Arsalan Tavakoli wrote:

> cost is not bounded by O (R log( L) + e),

NB:

I think Arsalan meant to say "is now bounded by"

> where R is the data rate, L

Phil