Subject: Re: [Roll] [6lowpan] [Fwd: New Version Notification fordraft-shelby-6lowpan-nd-00]

From: "Schoofs, Anthony" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:22:30 +0100

Hi Zach,

I have a comment regarding the message/option structure of the nd-00 draft.

The draft mentions: "The RR contains the addresses the node wants to register, and a possible request for a global assigned address."

It seems that the Identity Request option will only be used by LowPAN hosts when they send RRs, and Identity Replies by LowPAN Routers or LowPAN ERs when they send RCs.

Therefore sending a RR already indicates that an Address/6lowpan Address option will be an Identity request option, and sending a RC already indicates that an Address/6lowpan Address option will be an Identity Reply option. I would then say that the Identity Request and Identity Reply options are not that necessary, and that you could upgrade Address Option and 6lowpan Address Option as RR/RC options. It would mean small changes in the Address and 6lowpan Address options format to incorporate requisite fields from Identity Request/Reply such as Lifetime and G, P and X flags.

Best regards,
Anthony

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Zach Shelby
Sent: Friday 24 October 2008 16:58
To: 6lowpan; [email-masked]
Subject: [6lowpan] [Fwd: New Version Notification fordraft-shelby-6lowpan-nd-00]

Hi,

The first version of the ND for 6LoWPAN I-D has now been posted and is
available for comment. We would appreciate constructive comments and
list discussions on this before the IETF, and I would like to request a
slot in Minneapolis to present the draft.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shelby-6lowpan-nd-00.txt

There are some known open issues on this draft:

o Trickle and its optional use for RA periods in to be in next version.
o Fault tolerance to be defined in next version.
o Ad-hoc network (no infrastructure) to be discussed in next version.
o Context dissemination to be described in more detail. To be determined
in how much detail.
o Can the 6LoWPAN Address Option be integrated into the Address Option
using options in the S field? One less option..
o Consistent for both mesh under and route over may not be 100%
consistent yet

Regards,
Zach

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-shelby-6lowpan-nd-00
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 07:47:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
CC:
[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked],[email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-shelby-6lowpan-nd-00.txt has been
successfuly submitted by Zach Shelby and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:        draft-shelby-6lowpan-nd
Revision:        00
Title:           Neighbor Discovery for 6LoWPAN
Creation_date:   2008-10-24
WG ID:           Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 39

Abstract:
The 6LoWPAN format allows IPv6 to be used over very low-power, low-
bandwidth wireless networks often making use of extended multihop
topologies.  However, the use of standard IPv6 Neighbor Discovery
over 6LoWPAN networks has several problems.  Standard ND was not
designed for wireless links, the standard IPv6 link concept and heavy
use of multicast makes it inefficient.  This paper specifies Neighbor
Discovery optimized for 6LoWPAN.

The IETF Secretariat.

--

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti
FINLAND

mobile: +358 40 7796297

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain
legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without
producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.
_______________________________________________
6lowpan mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/6lowpan

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
_______________________________________________
Roll mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll