Subject: [Roll] DAGPreference

From: Mukul Goyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:21:58 -0500 (CDT)

"DAGPreference:  8-bit unsigned integer set by the DAG root to its
         preference and unchanged at propagation.  Default is 0 (lowest
         preference).  The DAG preference provides an administrative
         mechanism to engineer the self-organization of the LLN, for
         example indicating the most preferred LBR.  If a node has the
         option to join a DAG of lower preference while still meeting
         other optimization objectives, then the node will seek the
         minimum available preference."

Just a suggestion. Choosing the DAG with "lowest or minimum available preference" sounds strange. Perhaps, we should call value 0 as the "highest" preference value and say that lower numerical value means higher preference. Then a node can choose the DAG with "highest or maximum available preference".

Thanks
Mukul

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 17:31:28 +0200

Agreed. 

We need to define what's default, like 0 or 128, and then what's better.

Intuitively, I'd have set the default to 0, and the highest value the
most preferred to join.
Tim?

Pascal

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Mukul Goyal
>Sent: vendredi 18 septembre 2009 18:22
>To: roll
>Subject: [Roll] DAGPreference
>
>Just a suggestion. Choosing the DAG with "lowest or minimum available
preference" sounds strange. Perhaps, we
>should call value 0 as the "highest" preference value and say that
lower numerical value means higher
>preference. Then a node can choose the DAG with "highest or maximum
available preference".
>
>Thanks
>Mukul
>_______________________________________________
>Roll mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll