Subject: [Roll] RPL Discussion yesterday

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 07:59:17 +0200

Dear all,

We had an extremely production and fruitful interim meeting yesterday,  
and there was a strong consensus on several key simplifications of  
RPL, we're most definitely on the right track. Since several  
implementations are on the way, we agreed to produce a new revision of  
RPL extremely quickly and the author team is already working on them.

Basically

1) Major editorial clean-up: eliminate redundant text, the protocol  
overview section should be more high level.
2) RPL specifies how to build a (colored) DAG where the color simply  
reflect a set of constraints and metrics determined by the OCP. The  
decisions on whether a node should join more than one DAG is  
administratively determined and will be discussed in applicability  
statement.
3) The decision was also made to clarify the use of the sequence  
number + make complex operation of DAG merging/.... optional
4) We will keep unchanged the NA-DAO model that allows to support  
nodes with extremely limited memory (thanks to source routing) and  
nodes that can store routing tables. Various clarifications are  
required (see the minutes to be posted soon).
5) Add the FSM to the document.

Time Line ... within two weeks. Challenging but doable considering how  
productive the WG is ;-)

Thanks.

JP.