Subject: [Roll] Volunteer to join a small new Design Team to work on RPL Security

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:09:26 +0100

Dear WG,

I think that we can all be very happy with our progress so far with  
the core specification of RPL. There are still a few open issues that  
we need to solve before IETF-77:

* Detailed DAO mechanisms
* Detailed mode of operation with multicast
* Use of Flow Label versus new IPv6 header
* Potential needed optimization such as DAO packing
* Editorial work
* ...

We are on track for all of these.

The one item we absolutely need to speed on is security. As you know  
there is a security framework document that is still not a WG document  
and we now need to start the work on the RPL security aspects. To that  
end, we will form a small Design Team with aggressive milestones, the  
objective being to have the RPL security item almost completed by end  
of Feb, ready for the IETF-77.

If you have a good understanding of RPL and routing security  
expertise, please go back to me (unicast).

Thanks.

JP.

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 00:22:47 +0100

Dear all,

This is to announce the formation of a new RPL Security Design Team,  
made of the following members:
* Tzeta Tsao
* Roger Alexander
* Dave Ward
* Phil Levis

Thanks to the four of you for volunteering.

Rene Struik will help the team as our security advisor.

As a reminder:

* The work produced by a Design Team has no special status in the WG  
and is subject to WG consensus as any other individual submission
* We ask the Design Team to request for input from the WG and to  
provide regular updates on the progress: please send input requests to  
the mailing list, post regular updates of the document to get a chance  
to everybody to comment, ...
* All: please provide input to the Design Team and copy the mailing  
list.

Charter
######

The charter of the security design team is to produce a Security  
Framework document and the potential routing security extensions to  
RPL in the context of that framework (or document how existing routing  
mechanisms should be used). With regards to the framework, the  
Security DT may choose to use http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-tsao-roll-security-framework-01.txt 
  as a starting point (the document has been presented and discussed  
at the last two Working Group meetings).

Please make sure to be aligned with the ROLL terminology document and  
provide input to their authors should new terms be introduced.

Milestones
#########

Milestones are pretty aggressive.

Feb 10: produce a first draft of Security Framework to be submitted to  
the WG for WG adoption
Feb 29: produce a first draft on the potential security extensions for  
RPL as a separate document (that may be incorporated in the core  
specification of RPL in a second step).

The Design Team may not be dissolved after the completion of the  
security work for RPL as security in routing within LLN may apply to  
future specifications produced by the Working Group.

It is strongly encouraged to produce new version as the document  
progress (each time a substantial change is made to the document).

Thanks.

JP and David.

On Jan 21, 2010, at 9:09 AM, JP Vasseur wrote:

> the core specification of RPL. There are still a few open issues  
> that we need to solve before IETF-77:
>
> there is a security framework document that is still not a WG  
> document and we now need to start the work on the RPL security  
> aspects. To that end, we will form a small Design Team with  
> aggressive milestones, the objective being to have the RPL security  
> item almost completed by end of Feb, ready for the IETF-77.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:25:31 +0100

JP,

Thanks for the Security DT announcement and I hope to see excellent output.

I would like to ask about IPR aspects on RoLL security.

Is there any IPR on the base security draft ?
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-tsao-roll-security-framework-01.txt

Is there any IPR on the documents it relies, for example
    [Huang2003]
               Huang, Q., Cukier, J., Kobayashi, H., Liu, B., and J.
               Zhang, "Fast Authenticated Key Establishment Protocols for
               Self-Organizing Sensor Networks", in Proceedings of the
               2nd ACM International Conference on Wireless Sensor
               Networks and Applications, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 141-
               150, Sept. 19 2003.

This is good to know prior to engaging to good work.

Thanks,

Alex

Le 26/01/2010 00:22, JP Vasseur a écrit :
> made of the following members: * Tzeta Tsao * Roger Alexander * Dave
> Ward * Phil Levis
>
> and is subject to WG consensus as any other individual submission *
> We ask the Design Team to request for input from the WG and to
> provide regular updates on the progress: please send input requests
> to the mailing list, post regular updates of the document to get a
> chance to everybody to comment, ... * All: please provide input to
> the Design Team and copy the mailing list.
>
> Charter ######
>
> RPL in the context of that framework (or document how existing
> routing mechanisms should be used). With regards to the framework,
> the Security DT may choose to use
> http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-tsao-roll-security-framework-01.txt as
> a starting point (the document has been presented and discussed at
> the last two Working Group meetings).
>
> Please make sure to be aligned with the ROLL terminology document
> and provide input to their authors should new terms be introduced.
>
> Milestones #########
>
> Feb 10: produce a first draft of Security Framework to be submitted
> to the WG for WG adoption Feb 29: produce a first draft on the
> potential security extensions for RPL as a separate document (that
> may be incorporated in the core specification of RPL in a second
> step).
>
>> I think that we can all be very happy with our progress so far
>> with the core specification of RPL. There are still a few open
>> issues that we need to solve before IETF-77:
>>
>> * Detailed DAO mechanisms * Detailed mode of operation with
>> multicast * Use of Flow Label versus new IPv6 header * Potential
>> needed optimization such as DAO packing * Editorial work * ...
>>
>> The one item we absolutely need to speed on is security. As you
>> know there is a security framework document that is still not a WG
>> aggressive milestones, the objective being to have the RPL
>> security item almost completed by end of Feb, ready for the
>> IETF-77.
>>
>> JP. _______________________________________________ Roll mailing
>> list [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
>
> _______________________________________________ Roll mailing list
> [email-masked] https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
>

---

From: Tzeta Tsao <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:44:40 -0500

Hi Alex,

There are no IPR issues with that previous draft, to the best of my 
knowledge.

Thanks for the reference; I will take a close look.

Regards,
Tzeta