Subject: [Roll] I want the word "GPL" in the RPL draft

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:00:50 +0100

RoLLers,

Software licensing discussions can be long.

To make it short here is what I want:

I want GPL to be a license in the RPL document.

I don't want BSD in this document.  I wonder how "BSD" landed there.

If there was a choice to make between the two I'd put GPL.

It's surprising nobody asked about this and here it goes, RPL about to
become BSD.

Come on, serious.

Alex

---

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:13:50 +0100

> I don't want BSD in this document.  I wonder how "BSD" landed there.

Wrong working group.

I don't think the ROLL WG wants to discuss the IETF Trust Legal Provisions.
(And the WG couldn't change them if it wanted.)

I could now start educating you about why the TLP reflect exactly the right decision here and even provides what you appear to want, but that message would also be "wrong working group".

Gruesse, Carsten

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:43:00 +0100

Le 10/02/2010 22:13, Carsten Bormann a écrit :
> I don't think the ROLL WG wants to discuss the IETF Trust Legal
> Provisions. (And the WG couldn't change them if it wanted.)
>
> I could now start educating you about why the TLP reflect exactly the
> right decision here and even provides what you appear to want, but
> that message would also be "wrong working group".

Carsten - what I want is to either (1) no license in this draft (no BSD,
no GPL) or (2) if a license is absolutely needed then GPL.

Without that I have a very hard time motivating me to contribute to this
WG technically.

Also you know that I am used to contribute technically to some WGs and I
always did freely without worry.  Well yes, you may have discarded my
comments in some WGs but I always felt ok to post.  Now that I see
everybody's happy to that "BSD" word I am really wondering if I care at
all about IETF in general (its documents being so preambled).

Imagine I have to translate "copyleft" in order to pre-understand IETF
before posting.

Thanks and a smiley,

Alex

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 06:29:42 +0100

Hi Alex,

If I may intervene, Carsten is quite right here. I'd suggest to move  
that particular discussion to the
appropriate WG.

Many Thanks

JP.

On Feb 10, 2010, at 10:13 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

> Provisions.
> I could now start educating you about why the TLP reflect exactly  
> the right decision here and even provides what you appear to want,  
> but that message would also be "wrong working group".
>
> Gruesse, Carsten
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll