Subject: [Roll] Our revised IPR declaration on ROLL

From: Dan Lang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:50:56 -0800

Hi,  I wanted to provide a little commentary on the revised licensing  
commitment language that was just distributed on the mailer.  We  
believe that it will satisfy the concerns as we understand them and  
allow the WG to move to the next step.  Again, the proviso for the  
commentary is that it is not intended as an interpretation or legal  
advice and you should seek your own legal counsel.

Essentially, our new statement, like the old, promises to not assert  
our essential patents against functionality that implements ROLL, once  
standardized.  The difference is that whereas the old statement  
suspended, at our option,  this commitment in response  to any patent  
assertion against Cisco or Cisco products, the new statement only  
potentially suspends our commitment as to those who assert their  
essential patents against Cisco or CIsco products for implementing ROLL.

Dan Lang
Director, Intellectual Property
Cisco Systems, Inc.

---

From: Zach Shelby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 22:13:19 +0200

Dan,

Excellent! I'd like to thank Cisco for the excellent work listening to feedback from all involved and finding a very good compromise! 

Zach

On Feb 23, 2010, at 17:50 , Dan Lang wrote:

> 
> Hi,  I wanted to provide a little commentary on the revised licensing commitment language that was just distributed on the mailer.  We believe that it will satisfy the concerns as we understand them and allow the WG to move to the next step.  Again, the proviso for the commentary is that it is not intended as an interpretation or legal advice and you should seek your own legal counsel.  
> 
> Essentially, our new statement, like the old, promises to not assert our essential patents against functionality that implements ROLL, once standardized.  The difference is that whereas the old statement suspended, at our option,  this commitment in response  to any patent assertion against Cisco or Cisco products, the new statement only potentially suspends our commitment as to those who assert their essential patents against Cisco or CIsco products for implementing ROLL.
> 
> Dan Lang
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

-- 
http://www.sensinode.com
http://zachshelby.org - My blog "On the Internet of Things"
http://6lowpan.net - New book - "6LoWPAN: The Wireless Embedded Internet"
Mobile: +358 40 7796297

Zach Shelby
Head of Research
Sensinode Ltd.
Kidekuja 2
88610 Vuokatti, FINLAND

This e-mail and all attached material are confidential and may contain legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail from your system without producing, distributing or retaining copies thereof.