Subject: [Roll] [roll] #27: DAO ACK ?

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:33:38 -0000

#27: DAO ACK ?
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…               |       Owner:  pthubert@…        
     Type:  task                |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                    
Component:  rpl                 |     Version:                    
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 WG:

 RPL 07 provides means for a node to advertise some reachability using a
 DAO mechanism. The DAO can be triggered by the node to match its own
 needs. It can also be stimulated by a parent, by incrementing the DTSN, or
 by the root, by setting the T bit that causes the DTSN increment to span
 the whole DODAG.

 The DTSN was added as a replacement to a single bit because, due to the
 nature of an LLN, we thought that the bit might be lost whereas a DTSN
 increment must be seen at some point. But the other way around, the DAO
 message is not acknowledged so a node might not obtain the service that it
 expects, and a route propagation might be inappropriately delayed.

 So the simple question is, should we make the DAO a bit more reliable by
 adding an ack?

 Pascal.

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/27>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>