Subject: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-rpl-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 14:45:02 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : RPL: IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks
	Author(s)       : T. Winter, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-roll-rpl-08.txt
	Pages           : 92
	Date            : 2010-05-28

Low power and Lossy Networks (LLNs) are a class of network in which
both the routers and their interconnect are constrained: LLN routers
typically operate with constraints on (any subset of) processing
power, memory and energy (battery), and their interconnects are
characterized by (any subset of) high loss rates, low data rates and
instability.  LLNs are comprised of anything from a few dozen and up
to thousands of routers, and support point-to-point traffic (between
devices inside the LLN), point-to-multipoint traffic (from a central
control point to a subset of devices inside the LLN) and multipoint-
to-point traffic (from devices inside the LLN towards a central
control point).  This document specifies the IPv6 Routing Protocol
for LLNs (RPL), which provides a mechanism whereby multipoint-to-
point traffic from devices inside the LLN towards a central control
point, as well as point-to-multipoint traffic from the central
control point to the devices inside the LLN, is supported.  Support
for point-to-point traffic is also available.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 07:56:58 +0200

Dear all,

Tim will provide you a detailed update on the changes in this version  
of RPL, several
tickets will be closed.

Security Design Team, could you provide a summary on your end (what is  
covered, what
remains and will be covered in 09) ?

Thanks.

JP.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Date: May 28, 2010 11:45:02 PM CEDT
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-rpl-08.txt
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Tim Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 18:53:37 -0400

WG,

	In this version we have addressed a number of open tickets and feedback.  The 
changes include:

	- Updated RPL Options to 8-bit length

	- Incorporated security inputs as provided by Security Design
	  Team, still a work-in-progress to be completed by upcoming -09

	- Updated terminology from {Iteration, DODAGSequenceNumber}
	  to {Version, DODAGVersionNumber}

	- Updated text to reference I-D.ietf-roll-trickle for trickle
	  specification

	- Added reference to I-D.hui-6man-rpl-option to carry packet
	  meta-data, I-D.hui-6man-rpl-routing-header for source routing

	- Defined Global/Local RPLInstanceID, where Local RPLInstanceID
	  is in support of P2P solution

	- Added Mode of Operation (MOP) to specify that the instance is
	  in Storing or Non-storing node.  Removed 'S' bit and description
	  of mixed-mode operation (MOP may be expanded later)

	- Added Path Control to indicate preference and limit fan-out
	  for DAO operation.  (Needs additional clarification for
	  non-storing mode).  Removed DAO Rank.

	- Added DAO-ACK

	- Added Route Information Option (RIO) and Prefix Information
	  Option (PIO), borrowed from IPv6 ND (removed obsolete
	  Destination Prefix Option)

	- Added Target and Transit Information options, which may be
	  thought of as an expanded and more flexible version of the
	  previous DAO body.  This will also allow for Target to be
	  reused in P2P solution

	- No-DAO -> No-Path (There is a DAO, just not a path)

Please do continue to send your comments and feedback to the list.

Thanks,

-RPL Author Team

---

From: Dario Tedeschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 16:04:17 -0700

Seems that the new "RPL Target" sub-option uses the same type-value (5) 
as the OCP sub-option that is defined in 
"draft-ietf-roll-routing-metrics-06" (section 6).

Dario

[email-masked] wrote:
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>