Subject: [Roll] The P2P terminology

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 14:53:41 +0200

The P2P term is hardly illustrative for RPL.

P2P usually stands for peer-to-peer, often relating to overlay networks,
and its often illegal co-notation can't do much good to RPL
evangelisation.

I suggest finding another term which expresses the need of straight IP
communication between two leaves of same parent, or similar.  Something
more related to the IP routing terminology, rather than P2P networks.
(conceptually, a similar context exists with Mobile IP MN-HA-CN and it's
called Route Optimization rather than P2P.)

A second misunderstanding may arise when talking P2P as point-to-point
(not peer-to-peer) - this term has a meaning dangerously similar to P2MP
or MP2P.

P2P
P2MP
MP2P
are very loosely defined terms in this group.

Alex