Subject: Re: [Roll] Multicast DIS

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:16:27 +0200

Agreed. It should also be noted that some options like RIO and PIO (and
possibly MTU and SLLA) do not have to be sent in all DIOs in stable
conditions. Certainly upon a DIS, they must be present.

Pascal

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Navneet Agarwal (navagar)
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:51 AM
To: ROLL WG
Subject: [Roll] Multicast DIS

Hi All:

Had the following question:

When a node sends a multicast DIS it is stated that the receiving node
will reset the trickle timer if the solicited information is satisfied.
This would mean that the node will respond will respond with multicast
DIO on timer expiry.

This is not an issue if the nodes have a single interface. In cases
where a node has multiple interfaces, the node will end up sending
multicast DIOs on all interfaces on timer expiry. This would include the
interface on which the DIS was received as well as other interfaces.
IMO, this has processing implication on nodes attached to interfaces
other than on which the DIS was received. They would need to process the
DIOs, which I am not sure they really should. Is there a reason to reset
the trickle timer on multicast DIS reception or an alternative could be
to respond with a (multicast or unicast) DIO only on the interface the
DIS was received??

Thoughts?

Thx

Regards,

Navneet

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:19:30 +0200

Right, but you could have a valid path to the requester via an  
alternative link.

On Jun 10, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:

> Agreed. It should also be noted that some options like RIO and PIO  
> (and possibly MTU and SLLA) do not have to be sent in all DIOs in  
> stable conditions. Certainly upon a DIS, they must be present.
>
> Pascal
>
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf  
> Of Navneet Agarwal (navagar)
> When a node sends a multicast DIS it is stated that the receiving  
> node will reset the trickle timer if the solicited information is  
> satisfied. This would mean that the node will respond will respond  
> with multicast DIO on timer expiry.
>
> multicast DIOs on all interfaces on timer expiry. This would include  
> the interface on which the DIS was received as well as other  
> interfaces. IMO, this has processing implication on nodes attached  
> to interfaces other than on which the DIS was received. They would  
> need to process the DIOs, which I am not sure they really should. Is  
> there a reason to reset the trickle timer on multicast DIS reception  
> or an alternative could be to respond with a (multicast or unicast)  
> DIO only on the interface the DIS was received??
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thx
>
> Regards,
> Navneet
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: "Navneet Agarwal (navagar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:36:02 +0530

Hi JP:
Right...but my understanding is that the DIS sender would be using a
link local source address so the DIO would be sent out on the same
interface on which the DIS was received. Is that reasonable?
 
Thx
 
Regards,
Navneet

________________________________

	From: JP Vasseur [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:50 PM
	To: Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
	Cc: Navneet Agarwal (navagar); ROLL WG
	Subject: Re: [Roll] Multicast DIS

		
		Agreed. It should also be noted that some options like
RIO and PIO (and possibly MTU and SLLA) do not have to be sent in all
DIOs in stable conditions. Certainly upon a DIS, they must be present.
		
		Pascal
		
		From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Navneet Agarwal (navagar)
		Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 9:51 AM
		To: ROLL WG
		Subject: [Roll] Multicast DIS
		Hi All:
		Had the following question:
		When a node sends a multicast DIS it is stated that the
receiving node will reset the trickle timer if the solicited information
is satisfied. This would mean that the node will respond will respond
with multicast DIO on timer expiry.
		This is not an issue if the nodes have a single
interface. In cases where a node has multiple interfaces, the node will
end up sending multicast DIOs on all interfaces on timer expiry. This
would include the interface on which the DIS was received as well as
other interfaces. IMO, this has processing implication on nodes attached
to interfaces other than on which the DIS was received. They would need
to process the DIOs, which I am not sure they really should. Is there a
reason to reset the trickle timer on multicast DIS reception or an
alternative could be to respond with a (multicast or unicast) DIO only
on the interface the DIS was received??
		Thoughts?
		Thx
		Regards,
		Navneet
		_______________________________________________
		Roll mailing list
		[email-masked]
		https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll