Subject: [Roll] Metrics draft, clarifications; one per container

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:41:35 +0200

Hello all,

In the metrics draft, I'm confused about terminology. On pages 6 and 7,
it seems that the same things bear different names.
E.g. , Routing Object, Constraint/Metric Object, etc. 
I'm especially confused by the liberal use of the noun "object",
especially associated with the noun "container".
Is a "Metric Container object" an object within a Metric Container or
the Metric Container itself?

Assuming the latter is true, then I have a problem with the various
instances of the sentence
"There MUST be only one xxx object per DAG Metric Container object.",
with xxx equal to NSA, NE, HP, Throughput, Latency, LQL , ETX, LC.
For example, how can we implement a max(min(node_energy) ) routing on
scavenging nodes if we can't have one NE as a constraint (exclude
battery nodes) and one as a metric (accumulate min along the path)?

Best

Dominique

---

From: Nicolas DEJEAN <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 11:23:07 +0200

Hello all,

I suggest we change the offending text to "There MUST be no more than
one xxx object with the C bit set per DAG Metric Container, and no
more than one with the C bit reset per DAG Metric Container".
This will accomodate the common case where a same quantity is used
both as a constraint and a metric.

Cheers,

Nicolas.

2010/6/21  <[email-masked]>:
> Hello all,
>
> In the metrics draft, I'm confused about terminology. On pages 6 and 7, it
> seems that the same things bear different names.
>
> I'm especially confused by the liberal use of the noun "object", especially
> associated with the noun "container".
> Is a "Metric Container object" an object within a Metric Container or the
> Metric Container itself?
>
> "There MUST be only one xxx object per DAG Metric Container object.", with
> xxx equal to NSA, NE, HP, Throughput, Latency, LQL , ETX, LC.
>
> scavenging nodes if we can't have one NE as a constraint (exclude battery
> nodes) and one as a metric (accumulate min along the path)?
>
> Best
>
> Dominique
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
>
>

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:47:31 +0200

Hi,

> more than one with the C bit reset per DAG Metric Container".

This is the correct interpretation indeed. To be updated in the next  
revision.

>> battery