Subject: [Roll] Multicast DIS

From: "Navneet Agarwal (navagar)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:21:02 +0530

Hi All:
Had the following question:
 
When a node sends a multicast DIS it is stated that the receiving node
will reset the trickle timer if the solicited information is satisfied.
This would mean that the node will respond will respond with multicast
DIO on timer expiry.
 
This is not an issue if the nodes have a single interface. In cases
where a node has multiple interfaces, the node will end up sending
multicast DIOs on all interfaces on timer expiry. This would include the
interface on which the DIS was received as well as other interfaces.
IMO, this has processing implication on nodes attached to interfaces
other than on which the DIS was received. They would need to process the
DIOs, which I am not sure they really should. Is there a reason to reset
the trickle timer on multicast DIS reception or an alternative could be
to respond with a (multicast or unicast) DIO only on the interface the
DIS was received??
 
Thoughts?
 
Thx
 
Regards,
Navneet