Subject: [Roll] [roll] #52: downward routing question

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:29:41 -0000

#52: downward routing question
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…               |       Owner:  pthubert@…                        
     Type:  defect              |      Status:  new                               
 Priority:  major               |   Milestone:                                    
Component:  rpl                 |     Version:                                    
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |    Keywords:                                    
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Hi,

 I have a question on the downward routing feature in RPL

 The DIO packets are transmitted with source address set to the link local
 address of the routers. So a new device that joins the DAG has only the LL
 address of the parent routers. So it can only include these in the DAO
 that it transmits.

 Can the root node include the list of link local addresses in the source
 routing header ? I think not, it must include global addresses of all the
 intermediate routers. So how can a new device discover global addresses of
 its DIO parents ?

 -Regards, Joseph

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/52>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 06:38:35 -0000

#52: downward routing question
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…               |        Owner:  pthubert@…                        
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  closed                            
 Priority:  major               |    Milestone:                                    
Component:  rpl                 |      Version:                                    
 Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Resolution:  fixed                             
 Keywords:                      |  
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
Changes (by jpv@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 This issue is to be addressed in the Prefix field of the Prefix
 Information option, which is modified so that a parent node may inform its
 child of its own global address as follows:

   Prefix  An IP address or a prefix of an IP address.  The Prefix
         Length field contains the number of valid leading bits in the
         prefix.  The bits in the prefix after the prefix length are
         reserved and MUST be initialized to zero by the sender and
         ignored by the receiver.  A router SHOULD NOT send a prefix
         option for the link-local prefix and a host SHOULD ignore such
         a prefix option.  A non-storing node should refrain from
         advertising a prefix till it owns an address of that prefix,
         and then it should advertise its full address in this field, to
         be used by its children in the Parent Address field of the
         Transit Information Option

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/52#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>