Subject: Re: [Roll] [roll] #33: Source Route Failure ticket

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 06:32:07 -0000

#33: Source Route Failure ticket
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…                  |        Owner:  jpv@…        
     Type:  defect                 |       Status:  closed       
 Priority:  major                  |    Milestone:               
Component:  building-routing-reqs  |      Version:               
 Severity:  Active WG Document     |   Resolution:  fixed        
 Keywords:                         |  
-----------------------------------+----------------------------------------
Changes (by jpv@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 10.1.  Suggestions for Packet Forwarding

    When forwarding a packet to a destination, precedence is given to
    selection of a next-hop successor as follows:

 Winter, et al.          Expires December 13, 2010              [Page 71]
 Internet-Draft           draft-ietf-roll-rpl-09                 Jun 2010

    1.  This specification only covers how a successor is selected from
        the DODAG version that matches the RPLInstanceID marked in the
        IPv6 header of the packet being forwarded.  Routing outside the
        instance can be done as long as additional rules are put in place
        such as strict ordering of instances and routing protocols to
        protect against loops.

    2.  If a local administrative preference favors a route that has been
        learned from a different routing protocol than RPL, then use that
        successor.

 =>
    3.  If the packet header specifies a source route, then use that
        route [I-D.hui-6man-rpl-routing-header].  If the node fails to
        forward the packet with that specified source route, then that
        packet SHOULD be dropped.  The node MAY log an error.  The node
        MAY send an ICMPv6 Error in Source Routing Header message to the
        DODAG root Section 17.6.

 See also:

 17.6.  ICMPv6: Error in Source Routing Header

    In some cases RPL will return an ICMPv6 error message when a message
    cannot be delivered as specified by its source routing header.  This
    ICMPv6 error message is "Error in Source Routing Header"

    IANA has defined an ICMPv6 "Code" Fields Registry for ICMPv6 Message
    Types.  ICMPv6 Message Type 1 describes "Destination Unreachable"
    codes.  The "Error in Source Routing Header" code is suggested to be
    allocated from the ICMPv6 Code Fields Registry for ICMPv6 Message
    Type 1, with a suggested code value of 7, to be confirmed by IANA.

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/33#comment:2>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>