Subject: [Roll] What is "non-LLN backchannel" and "non-LLN backbone"?

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 00:18:17 +0200

What is "non-LLN backchannel" and "non-LLN backbone"?

Is it the same thing?  If yes then what is it? (new to me, sorry).

> These roots may operate independently, or may coordinate over
>    a non-LLN backchannel.
[...]
>    o  a single DODAG with a single virtual root coordinating LLN sinks
>       (with the same DODAGID) over some non-LLN backbone

Alex

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:59:37 +0200

> Is it the same thing?  If yes then what is it? (new to me, sorry).

Same thing. This is for example when DODAG root are connected via an
Ethernet link (IPv6 enabled of course but where RPL is not running).

We will make sure to use one term here in next revision.

>>      (with the same DODAGID) over some non-LLN backbone

Formal definition of virtual root will be added too:

          Virtual DODAG root:  A Virtual DODAG root is the result of  
two or
          more RPL routers, most typically LBRs, coordinating to
          synchronize DODAG state and act in concert as if they are a
          single DODAG root, with multiple interfaces, with respect to
          the LLN.  The coordination most likely occurs over a non-LLN
          channel, and the details of that scheme are beyond the scope  
of
          this specification.

> Alex
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll