Subject: [Roll] Ticket #64

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:43:56 +0200

10.2.2.  Router Operation

10.2.2.1.  Instance Forwarding

    Instance IDs are used to avoid loops between DODAGs from different
    origins.  DODAGs that constructed for antagonistic constraints might
    contain paths that, if mixed together, would yield loops.  Those
    loops are avoided by forwarding a packet along the DODAG that is
    associated to a given instance.

    The RPLInstanceID is associated by the source with the packet.  This
    RPLInstanceID MUST match the RPL Instance onto which the packet is
    placed by any node, be it a host or router.  For traffic originating
    outside of the RPL domain there may be a mapping occurring at the
    gateway
JP> Do not use "gateway". It is called LBR in the terminology ID.
into the RPL domain, possibly based on an encoding within the
    flow label.  This aspect of RPL operation is to be clarified in a
    future version of this specification.

JP> in rev-11. Note that the LBR may use policy to compute itself the  
RPLInstanceID.
We do not need to mandate the source outside of the RPL domain to  
carry it in the
flow label.

---

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:38:35 +0200

What about this:

            RPLInstanceIDs are used to avoid loops between DODAGs from

            different origins. DODAGs that are constructed for
antagonistic

            constraints might contain paths that, if mixed together,
would

            yield loops. Those loops are avoided by forwarding a packet
along

            the DODAG that is associated to a given instance.

            The RPLInstanceID is associated by the source with the
packet.

            This RPLInstanceID MUST match the RPL Instance onto which
the

            packet is placed by any node, be it a host or router.

            For a packet that is originated from outside the RPL
network,

            the source of the packet might be aware of the RPL network,
of

            the constraints imposed on OFs, and of associated
RPLInstanceIDs.

            In that case, the source of the packet MAY tag the flow
label with

            the RPLInstanceID.

            A router that injects a data packet into the RPL network
MUST

            tag the packet by inserting a RPL Hop-by-hop option as
specified

            in I-D.hui-6man-rpl-option. The ingress router that injects
the

            packet into the RPL network MUST add a RPLInstanceID field

            to the RPL Hop-by-hop option.

Pascal

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
JP Vasseur
Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:44 PM
To: ROLL WG
Subject: [Roll] Ticket #64

10.2.2.  Router Operation

 
 
JP> in rev-11. Note that the LBR may use policy to compute itself the
RPLInstanceID.
We do not need to mandate the source outside of the RPL domain to carry
it in the 
flow label.

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:46:51 +0200

Pascal,

Our emials collide ... look at the email that I sent to authors  
summarizing all
proposed changes and we'll go back to the WG.

On Jul 23, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Pascal Thubert (pthubert) wrote:

>             yield loops. Those loops are avoided by forwarding a  
> packet along
>             This RPLInstanceID MUST match the RPL Instance onto  
> which the
>             the source of the packet might be aware of the RPL  
> network, of
>             in I-D.hui-6man-rpl-option. The ingress router that  
> injects the
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf  
> Of JP Vasseur
> JP> in rev-11. Note that the LBR may use policy to compute itself  
> the RPLInstanceID.