Subject: [Roll] Questions about RPL Security

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 02:23:05 +0200

Questions about Message Authentication Code

> The message authentication code is calculated over the entire IPv6
> packet.

Before or after the application has modified the packet to include Rank?

("RPL uses a hop-by-hop IPv6 header to detect possible loops within a
DODAG.  Each data packet includes the Rank of the transmitter.")

> The IPv6 and ICMPv6 headers are never encrypted.

Which "IPv6 header"?  I suppose you mean the "base header" - if so then 
say so.  HbH is an IPv6 header too.

ICMPv6 headers _are_ encrypted if preceded by ESP transport mode, or 
tunnel mode.

Or are you going to forbid the use of ESP on RPL?

> The body of the RPL ICMPv6 message MAY be encrypted,
>    starting from the first byte after the security section

Ah?  So RPL Security does not cover (confidentiality) the ICMP Type and 
Code fields?  I agree - let ESP do it.

Alex