Subject: [Roll] Using ECMP

From: Michael John <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 14:50:43 +0200

Dear all,

I am new to the list (first post), but I have been following the drafts for
a while.

I would like to ask the group if the current draft of RPL would allow the
use of ECMP (equal cost multi path) forwarding or if there is anything
against it?

I could see ECMP to be benefit in battery powered networks where using one
preferred parent “all the time” might not be the optimum. On the other hand,
this problem could be addressed by a dynamic metric which is incorporating
battery lifetime. Once the battery is drained too much of the current
preferred parent, the metric would get worse and another possible parent
would appear to be better.

Nevertheless, I am sure ECMP could come handy in other cases.

Michael

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2010 15:54:49 +0200

Hi,

On Jul 9, 2010, at 2:50 PM, Michael John wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am new to the list (first post), but I have been following the  
> drafts for a while.
>
> I would like to ask the group if the current draft of RPL would  
> allow the use of ECMP (equal cost multi path) forwarding or if there  
> is anything against it?

Nothing against using ECMP.

>
> I could see ECMP to be benefit in battery powered networks where  
> using one preferred parent “all the time” might not be the optimum.  
> On the other hand, this problem could be addressed by a dynamic  
> metric which is incorporating battery lifetime. Once the battery is  
> drained too much of the current preferred parent, the metric would  
> get worse and another possible parent would appear to be better.
>

Sure look at: http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-routing-metrics/ 
  - Look at the new release to be posted today, we have a new metric  
that might be of interest on the subject matter.

JP.

> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll