Subject: [Roll] [roll] #74: Edits

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:45:14 -0000

#74: Edits
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…            |       Owner:  wintert@…      
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new            
 Priority:  trivial          |   Milestone:                 
Component:  rpl              |     Version:                 
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |    Keywords:                 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
 Date: July 26, 2010 10:37:54 AM CEDT
 To: Yoav Ben-Yehezkel <[email-masked]>
 Cc: [email-masked]
 Subject: Re: [Roll] small comment on DIS format

 Hi Yoav,

 On Jul 26, 2010, at 10:19 AM, Yoav Ben-Yehezkel wrote:

 Hi,

 I found a small editorial fix in the description of “Option Length” field
 in the SIO description.

 Right now the description says Option Length 19 bytes, which I think
 little misleading. If I understand correctly, it should be saying that the
 length of the field is 1 byte and its value shall be set to 19, right?

 Well, in Section 5.7.1, this is actually clarified:

 5.7.1.  RPL Control Message Option Generic Format

    RPL Control Message Options all follow this format:

         0                   1                   2
         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- - - - - - - -
        |  Option Type  | Option Length | Option Data
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- - - - - - - -

                    Figure 14: RPL Option Generic Format

    Option Type:  8-bit identifier of the type of option.  The Option
          Type values are to be confirmed by the IANA Section 18.4.

    Option Length:  8-bit unsigned integer, representing the length in
          octets of the option, not including the Option Type and Length
          fields.

    Option Data:  A variable length field that contains data specific to
          the option.

 But I see your point, what we should be doing is to put the number 19 in
 the figure.

 In other words, for each figure:
 Option Lenght (1 byte): 19
 +
 shows the number (when we have a fixed number) on the figure.

 Would that clarify ?

 Thanks.

 JP.

 Regards,
 Yoav

 5.7.9.  Solicited Information

 ...

         0                   1                   2                   3
         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
        |   Type = 7    | Option Length | RPLInstanceID |V|I|D|  Rsvd   |
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
        |                                                               |
        +                                                               +
        |                                                               |
        +                            DODAGID                            +
        |                                                               |
        +                                                               +
        |                                                               |
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
        |    Version    |
        +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

            Figure 22: Format of the Solicited Information Option
 ...

    Option Length:  19 bytes

 _______________________________________________
 Roll mailing list
 [email-masked]
 https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

 _______________________________________________
 Roll mailing list
 [email-masked]
 https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/74>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:47:31 -0000

#74: Edits on Option Length on Figures
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…            |       Owner:  wintert@…      
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new            
 Priority:  trivial          |   Milestone:                 
Component:  rpl              |     Version:                 
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |    Keywords:                 
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Description changed by jpv@…:

Old description:

> little misleading. If I understand correctly, it should be saying that
> the length of the field is 1 byte and its value shall be set to 19,
> right?
>

> 5.7.9.  Solicited Information

New description:

 Hi Yoav,

 Hi,

         0                   1                   2

 Would that clarify ?

 Thanks.

 JP.

 Regards,
 Yoav

 ...

         0                   1                   2                   3

    Option Length:  19 bytes

--

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/74#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:28:12 -0000

#74: Edits on Option Length on Figures
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…            |        Owner:  wintert@…      
     Type:  defect           |       Status:  closed         
 Priority:  trivial          |    Milestone:                 
Component:  rpl              |      Version:                 
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Resolution:  fixed          
 Keywords:                   |  
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Changes (by jpv@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

New description:

 Hi Yoav,

 Hi,

         0                   1                   2

 Would that clarify ?

 Thanks.

 JP.

 Regards,
 Yoav

 ...

         0                   1                   2                   3

    Option Length:  19 bytes

--

Comment:

 Resolution to appear in revision -11:

 "

        0                   1                   2

                   Figure 19: RPL Option Generic Format

   Option Type:  8-bit identifier of the type of option.  The Option
         Type values are to be confirmed by IANA Section 19.4.

 "

 So we should not repeat that.
 OTOH, the way the length was expressed was not consistent.
 So the proposal is for all options that have a constant value, to use a
 same form.

 We could use something like:

 "
   Option Type:  0x04 (to be confirmed by IANA)

   Option Length:  14

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/74#comment:2>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>