Subject: [Roll] Nit: the term Mode of Operation

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 03:01:41 +0200

Nit: the term Mode of Operation

The term "mode of operation" is used several times throughout, with
various semantics (sometimes unrelated) ranging from generic "RPL mode
of operation" to very specific "MoP" field with 4 reserved values,
storing mode of operation, inverse cryptographic mode of operation, DIS
mode of operation,  [fault mgmt] correct mode of operation, DODAG mode
of operation, seq counters mode of operation transitioning linear to
circular region, more.

One could not say, for example, that the MoP field values cover the seq
counters mode of operation, I believe(?)  They only cover the storing modes.

Thus, one would not expect there to be a _single_ mode of operation.
Yet the draft states upfront:
> This document describes the mode of operation of RPL.

Maybe the plural 'modes' of operation of RPL would be better adapted?

That phrase would be thus less confusing with respect to the specific
uses appearing later.

Depending on this modification, I could try to clarify further the
different usages of this term.

Alex

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:20:48 +0200

"Mode of operation" is a very common terms used in RFC.

> Maybe the plural 'modes' of operation of RPL would be better adapted?

The one place where we could slighly reword is in Section 1.1
replacing "This document describes the mode of operation of RPL." by
"This document specifies RPL".

Thanks.

JP.

> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Alexandru Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 10:28:23 +0200

> "Mode of operation" is a very common terms used in RFC.

NEw to me...

> "This document specifies RPL".

Sounds good.

Alex

>> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>