Subject: [Roll] [roll] #66: New link-local RPL multicast address and 6lowpan-HC

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:00:21 -0000

#66: New link-local RPL multicast address and 6lowpan-HC
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…            |       Owner:  pthubert@…        
     Type:  defect           |      Status:  new               
 Priority:  major            |   Milestone:                    
Component:  rpl              |     Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |    Keywords:                    
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 -----Original Message-----
 From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
 Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
 Sent: Thursday, July 15, 2010 11:38 AM
 To: Joakim Eriksson; roll
 Subject: Re: [Roll] New link-local RPL multicast address and 6lowpan-HC

 Great point Joakim;

 1A is actually free in
 http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-multicast-addresses/
 let's try and get that value?

 Pascal

 -----Original Message-----
 From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
 Of
 Joakim Eriksson
 Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 12:16 PM
 To: roll
 Subject: [Roll] New link-local RPL multicast address and 6lowpan-HC

 Hello,

 The new RPL all routers address ff02::1:a is going to cause much worse

 compression (3 bytes vs 1 byte) of the destination address in 6lowpan
 based
 networks. Is there any plans for "fixing" the HC or are we ok with
 this? (I like
 small messages ;-)

 Would it be impossible to get a ff02::1a address from IANA instead?

 Best regards
 -- Joakim Eriksson, SICS
 _______________________________________________
 Roll mailing list
 [email-masked]
 https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/66>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>

---

From: "roll issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 13:54:00 -0000

#66: New link-local RPL multicast address and 6lowpan-HC
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jpv@…            |        Owner:  pthubert@…        
     Type:  defect           |       Status:  closed            
 Priority:  major            |    Milestone:                    
Component:  rpl              |      Version:                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call  |   Resolution:  fixed             
 Keywords:                   |  
-----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Changes (by jpv@…):

  * status:  new => closed
  * resolution:  => fixed

Comment:

 Here is the resolution (agreed on the Mailing List) to be added to the
 next revision 11 of RPL:

 <t>The rules for assigning new IPv6 multicast addresses are defined in
         <xref target="RFC3307"></xref>. This specification requires the
         allocation of a new permanent multicast address with a link local
         scope for RPL routers, with a suggested value of FF02::1A, to be
         confirmed by IANA.</t>

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/trac/ticket/66#comment:1>
roll <http://tools.ietf.org/wg/roll/>