Subject: [Roll] Transit and Target address mismatch

From: "Mathilde Durvy (mdurvy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:17:09 +0200

Hi All,

Let’s consider the storing mode in a simple topology AàBàR (à mark the
parent relationship). Let’s also assume that A has a prefix ‘Ap’ and a
global address ‘Ag’ to advertise.

In this example we have:

- A sends DAO with “target Ag, Ap, transit B”

- B sends DAO with “target Bg, transit R” together with the information from
A, i.e. “target Ag, Ap, transit B”

Then R recombines the information to get the route to for example Ap (Target
Ap, transit B, target Bg, transit R)

For this to work, transit B and target Bg need to be matched. How can this
be done? Does it mean that the transit parent address has to be a global
address? This would imply that we use global addresses in the routing
header. However 6man-rpl-routing-header says:

“When processing the Type 4 Routing header, a router MUST drop the packet if
the next entry is not on-link”

As global addresses have to be off-link in NBMA network like 802.15.4, I see
a problem…

Can you please clarify how addresses are supposed to be used in this
source-routing scenario.

Thanks,

Mathilde

http://www.cisco.com/swa/i/logo.gif

Durvy Mathilde
Software Engineer
Technology center

 <mailto:[email-masked]> [email-masked]
Phone: +41 21 822 1725
Mobile: +41 76 396 8116

Cisco Systems International Sàrl
Av. des Uttins, 5
CH-1180 Rolle

 <http://www.cisco.com> Cisco home page

Think before you print.Think before you print.

This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole
use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or disclosure
by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient (or
authorized to receive for the recipient), please contact the sender by reply
e-mail and delete all copies of this message.

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:40:10 +0200

since I saw this request several times, I have opened a ticket to  
clarify.

On Jul 6, 2010, at 1:17 PM, Mathilde Durvy (mdurvy) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Let’s consider the storing mode in a simple topology AàBàR (à mark  
> the parent relationship). Let’s also assume that A has a prefix ‘Ap’  
> and a global address ‘Ag’ to advertise.
> In this example we have:
> - B sends DAO with “target Bg, transit R” together with the  
> information from A, i.e. “target Ag, Ap, transit B”
>
> Then R recombines the information to get the route to for example Ap  
> (Target Ap, transit B, target Bg, transit R)
> For this to work, transit B and target Bg need to be matched. How  
> can this be done? Does it mean that the transit parent address has  
> to be a global address? This would imply that we use global  
> addresses in the routing header. However 6man-rpl-routing-header says:
> “When processing the Type 4 Routing header, a router MUST drop the  
> packet if the next entry is not on-link”
> As global addresses have to be off-link in NBMA network like  
> 802.15.4, I see a problem…
>
> [email-masked]
> Cisco home page
> Think before you print.
> This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the  
> sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, use, distribution or  
> disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the  
> intended recipient (or authorized to receive for the recipient),  
> please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies of  
> this message.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll