Subject: [Roll] I-D Action:draft-ietf-roll-rpl-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:15:23 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : RPL: IPv6 Routing Protocol for Low power and Lossy Networks
	Author(s)       : T. Winter, et al.
	Filename        : draft-ietf-roll-rpl-14.txt
	Pages           : 141
	Date            : 2010-10-25

Low power and Lossy Networks (LLNs) are a class of network in which
both the routers and their interconnect are constrained.  LLN routers
typically operate with constraints on processing power, memory, and
energy (battery power).  Their interconnects are characterized by
high loss rates, low data rates, and instability.  LLNs are comprised
of anything from a few dozen and up to thousands of routers.
Supported traffic flows include point-to-point (between devices
inside the LLN), point-to-multipoint (from a central control point to
a subset of devices inside the LLN), and multipoint-to-point (from
devices inside the LLN towards a central control point).  This
document specifies the IPv6 Routing Protocol for LLNs (RPL), which
provides a mechanism whereby multipoint-to-point traffic from devices
inside the LLN towards a central control point, as well as point-to-
multipoint traffic from the central control point to the devices
inside the LLN, is supported.  Support for point-to-point traffic is
also available.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-roll-rpl-14.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Tim Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 18:22:34 -0400

WG,

This version (as well as the prior version RPL-13) incorporates changes to address 
concerns brought up in IESG evaluation 
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-rpl/))

Regards,

-Tim

On 10/25/2010 06:15 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll

---

From: Dario Tedeschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2010 15:46:01 -0700

Some questions and comments:

#1.
I'm confused by the following text in section 9.7:

    ...                                    ... Therefore, in non-storing
    mode, a node can send a single DAO, although it might choose to send
    more than one DAO message to each of multiple DAO parents.

What would be the purpose of sending DAOs to multiple parents in a 
non-storing network? Is it for some kind of neighbor discovery? I'm 
assuming the "single DAO" is only ever sent to the Root node using its 
routable address.

#2.
In non-storing mode, where does a node get the Root's routable address? 
In past interops it's been assumed to come from the DODAGID, but this is 
not explicitly stated in the RPL draft.

#3.
In non-storing mode, a node needs to add the routable address of its 
parent to the Transit Information Option. Again, it's been assumed that 
the Prefix Information Option from a parent would contain it's routable 
address. It would be helpful if the RPL draft was more explicit about this.

#4.
To be more consistent with DIO messages, can the SenderRank (in the the 
RPL Hop-by-Hop option) be changed to the raw rank value and not 
DAGRank(rank)?

Dario