Subject: [Roll] Throughput Metric in RFC 6551

From: Remous-Aris Koutsiamanis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 11:50:19 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

I would like some clarification on the the Throughput metric in RFC 6551.
The text has a first segment which states:
"For efficient operation, it may be desirable for nodes to report the range
of throughput
that their links can handle in addition to the currently available
throughput."

and then a bit later:
"The first Throughput sub-object MUST be the most recently estimated actual
throughput"

The first segment refers to "currently available throughput", which I
understand as the currently remaining traffic capacity.
E.g. the node has a total traffic capacity of 10 pkt/s (e.g. for sending
towards the root), it is currently having traffic of 3 pkt/s, so the
remaining=available throughput is 10-3=7pkt/s.

The second segment segment on the contrary seems to refer to the current
"actual throughput" on the node; in the previous example, this would be the
3pkt/s value.

How should the metric be used and which of the values should it contain?

Cordially,

Aris