Subject: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-capabilities-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 18:23:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Routing Over Low power and Lossy networks WG of the IETF.

        Title           : RPL Capabilities
        Authors         : Rahul Arvind Jadhav
                          Pascal Thubert
                          Michael Richardson
                          Rabi Narayan Sahoo
	Filename        : draft-ietf-roll-capabilities-06.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2020-06-03

Abstract:
   This draft enables the discovery, advertisement and query of
   capabilities for RPL nodes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-roll-capabilities/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-roll-capabilities-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-roll-capabilities-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-roll-capabilities-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Rahul Jadhav <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2020 10:04:47 +0800

Hello All,

This is a major update to the Caps draft:
1. Added messaging to query capability set between two peers.
2. Examples are added in the appendix for all the cases.
3. Corresponding secure messages are added
4. IANA considerations section has major update.

The aim for this messaging was to keep it simple, stateless operation.

FYI, There is one scenario that the given messaging does not handle.
Scenario: What happens if the capability set of the node changes after the
query is done? Should there be some way to notify? This introduces a lot of
complexity by making the whole operation stateful. My take is that if the
querying node gets a capability set of the peer node which changes in the
future, then the subsequent operation for e.g., PDAO route installation
will anyways fail with appropriate status/handling.

Any feedback, opinion is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rahul

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 at 09:24, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Roll mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/roll
>